Are my two Ts in pre molt?

Chad Peace

Arachnosquire
My female Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens and my tiny Nhandu chromatus sling both refused food and have pretty big abdomens also my Nhandu chromatus is a lot more sluggish than usual, i would just like to know if they are in pre molt because this will be the first time they have molted in my care as they are my first Ts

Attachments

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
My female Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens and my tiny Nhandu chromatus sling both refused food and are pretty big, i would just like to know if they are in pre molt because this will be the first time they have molted in my care as they are my first Ts
Not enough info...pics would be helpful

Your question is like: my car wont start...is it out of gas?

Chad Peace

Arachnosquire
Not enough info...pics would be helpful

Your question is like: my car wont start...is it out of gas?
Sorry i noticed i forgot them i added them to my original post, camera quality is terrible too so sorry again

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
In my experience both nhandu and chromatopelma will only refuse food when in pre molt. But hard to say without pics.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The GBB looks too skinny to be in premolt. Not saying it isn't, but usually they plump up quite a bit more. My bet is on nope for GBB.

The chromatus could be, it looks nice and plump.

To be safe, offer them prekilled prey or prey with crushed heads until a molt.

Chad Peace

Arachnosquire
The GBB looks too skinny to be in premolt. Not saying it isn't, but usually they plump up quite a bit more. My bet is on nope for GBB.

The chromatus could be, it looks nice and plump.

To be safe, offer them prekilled prey or prey with crushed heads until a molt.
Will do, should i leave them overnight if they dont eat them right away?

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They both refused again
I feed at night/evening and remove uneaten prey the next morning. Some of my tarantulas don't like an audience when eating. ;)

I should note that i feed dubia with crushed heads.

cold blood

Staff member
Just wait a week to 10 days, then try again.

IMO both are probably pre-molt...IMO the GBB certainly does look plenty plump....and although it otherwise doesn't look PM, it certainly could be in the early stages.

Neither is in a condition where they require food, a couple weeks without won't have a negative effect on either t.

My experience with chromatus of this size is exceedingly fast molt periods...24-28 days is where all mine were molting at that size, I'd just be playing the waiting game on that one.

Your pic quality is just fine by the way.

Chad Peace

Arachnosquire

IMO both are probably pre-molt...IMO the GBB certainly does look plenty plump....and although it otherwise doesn't look PM, it certainly could be in the early stages.

Neither is in a condition where they require food, a couple weeks without won't have a negative effect on either t.

My experience with chromatus of this size is exceedingly fast molt periods...24-28 days is where all mine were molting at that size, I'd just be playing the waiting game on that one.

Thanks a bunch, ill just leave them and see how it goes, if they are in pre molt ill keep you updated

Chad Peace

Arachnosquire
Would it not be okay to add more sunstrate for my gbb as she could be in pre molt?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I don't see how puting more sub in would change anything.

How much sub is in there?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I would leave them be for a couple weeks. Both look healthy and if the are PM then they don't need the added stress.

New dresses soon hopefully :)

Chad Peace

Arachnosquire
I would leave them be for a couple weeks. Both look healthy and if the are PM then they don't need the added stress.

New dresses soon hopefully :)
I don't see how puting more sub in would change anything.

How much sub is in there?
Oh no its not like theres is too little i would just like a little more sub in there, i have a spare brick and just want to use it

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

You know I suppose my GBB has always been a bit of a chubby girl. Her abdomen looked that size post molt right at that color transition.

cold blood

Staff member
Oh no its not like theres is too little i would just like a little more sub in there, i have a spare brick and just want to use it
Now is not the time to be altering enclosures, just leave them be.

You know I suppose my GBB has always been a bit of a chubby girl. Her abdomen looked that size post molt right at that color transition.
My girls very pre-molt, she hasn't eaten in months and isn't much larger if at all than the GBB in question. Mine first refused it looked a lot like this, even the skin underneath was pinkish/peach. I just left her alone, only offering (briefly) food every 3 weeks just to be sure...wasn't till last week that she buried herself....I don't think she's molted as of yet either.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My girls very pre-molt, she hasn't eaten in months and isn't much larger if at all than the GBB in question. Mine first refused it looked a lot like this, even the skin underneath was pinkish/peach. I just left her alone, only offering (briefly) food every 3 weeks just to be sure...wasn't till last week that she buried herself....I don't think she's molted as of yet either.
This was about two weeks (1 meal) after molt.

I only have this one to base off and apparently she's a pig...

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Beautiful T! Mine molted today, refused food about 10 days ago, so that was a clear sign. Mine is still a sling though. Molt before that was 35 days prior, eat, grow, molt, repeat. :p