Are my recent slings ok? Fossorial not burrowing

vounti

Arachnoknight
Hello everyone!
I am posting this thread because I am a bit worried. Yesterday I got a bunch of slings including a Ephebopus cyanognathus and a Cyriopagopus lividum. Of course I gave them a lot of substrate to burrow and premade a hole. I gave a bit less substrate to the Ephebopus because I read that as slings they might have arboreal behavior.

Anyway here's the problem. None of them is burrowing. The Ephebopus is actually webbing the top so I guess it's doing great but the cobalt blue looks not healthy. It did not bolt even when I try to get a reaction from it (gently blowing through the ventilation holes). It does not move that much. At first it was using the premade burrow but now it seems like it's just webbing but very slowly and not reacting when I blew air.
I tried to feed all of my slings yesterday after the rehouse and all of them ate but the Ephebopus. I feel like the Ephebopus is doing great. My guess is that the Cyriopagopus is healthy but just stressed (and tbh my anxiety is a factor of stress for them too). It might just need some time to feel safe and to adapt to its new enclosure

Just wanted to know what you, experimented people, think. I add a few pictures to the thread

Attachments

Ic4ru577

Arachnoknight
The substrate is a bit too much. You need space for ts to dump the subs when they burrow. Give it time. They are adjusting to new enclosure.

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My guess is that they just need a little time. My cyanognathus sometimes sulks in a corner for a few days after a rehouse before she'll make a new turret. I don't have a lividum, so I don't have personal experience there, but since it's only been a day it seems likely that it's still just settling in.

vounti

Arachnoknight
That is what I thought, I will leave them be and check on them in a few days

The substrate is a bit too much. You need space for ts to dump the subs when they burrow. Give it time. They are adjusting to new enclosure.

I realized that after I put the T in the enclosure. That was not a smart move but once it starts throwing substrate I'll throw the excessive substrate out

magouilles

Arachnoknight
Hello everyone!
I am posting this thread because I am a bit worried. Yesterday I got a bunch of slings including a Ephebopus cyanognathus and a Cyriopagopus lividum. Of course I gave them a lot of substrate to burrow and premade a hole. I gave a bit less substrate to the Ephebopus because I read that as slings they might have arboreal behavior.

Anyway here's the problem. None of them is burrowing. The Ephebopus is actually webbing the top so I guess it's doing great but the cobalt blue looks not healthy. It did not bolt even when I try to get a reaction from it (gently blowing through the ventilation holes). It does not move that much. At first it was using the premade burrow but now it seems like it's just webbing but very slowly and not reacting when I blew air.
I tried to feed all of my slings yesterday after the rehouse and all of them ate but the Ephebopus. I feel like the Ephebopus is doing great. My guess is that the Cyriopagopus is healthy but just stressed (and tbh my anxiety is a factor of stress for them too). It might just need some time to feel safe and to adapt to its new enclosure

Just wanted to know what you, experimented people, think. I add a few pictures to the thread
Some of my fossorial slings literally don’t burrow at all and some of my terrestrial slings do
I’ve had them for a long period of time and they’re super healthy
each spider does whatever it wants I wouldn’t worry if I was you!
but it is true that they need space to dump the extra substrate so I’d maybe remove a bit of it or rehouse them into a tiny bit bigger enclosures when they feel a bit less stressed🙂

vounti

Arachnoknight
I can witness that! The blue fang won't burrow. I removed some substrate in the lividum enclosure and I think it digged a bit. I am relieved and from now on, they will settle in. The enclosures are ok and no distrubance. I just sit and enjoy

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The lividum sling is a bit curled, might be injured from the shipping. I would contact the seller now, in case it doesn’t make it.

vounti

Arachnoknight
The lividum sling is a bit curled, might be injured from the shipping. I would contact the seller now, in case it doesn’t make it.
It looks fine to me even though during the unboxing I thought it was not healthy. Anyway the seller ships at client's risk so the only thing he could do is pray for me :D

Last edited: