Are my cats stressing out my T

Evan Loessberg

Arachnopeon
My cats like to look at my tarantula. He rarely shows any defensive signs but I’m just wondering if they’re stressing him out my main concern is I think he might be in premolt. He won’t eat and the bald spot he had when I got him looks like it’s getting bigger. He has a shelter but I added more substrate and he hasn’t been back in it.
Will he molt if he feels threatened?
If he starts molting and the cats watch him could that hurt him?

Pepper

Arachnosquire
Your cats cant hurt him by WATCHING him, but it could be stressful if they can get on top of the enclosure, or really bad if they tip it over. What's it like around the enclosure?
My cat doesnt care about my Ts at all

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
Following additional information will be helpful in getting useful answers:
  • What species of tarantula is it?
  • Do you have a pic of the T and the enclosure?
  • Where is the enclosure placed?
There are soooo many stories of arachnoboards of cats knocking over enclosures and Ts either dying or hiding away, if they survive the fall. I like cats, but they are hunters and moving things tick them off. Plus they are quite creative to get their prey... so all in all not the best combination and the reason many people keep cats out of their T rooms. It would be helpful to know the species, but in my experience, if a T feels threatened, it will hide. For molting, I personally just make sure not to cause any unnecessary vibrations and definitely no enclosure maintenance etc. A cat knocking at the terrarium could be a nuisance for the T.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Tarantulas can only see shadows anyway. If you have a hide provided, then if they feel weary of the eyes on them, they can go hide. Also, cats are attracted to movements of little things. Over time, the cats will get use to those cages and it’ll become not very interesting because of the lack of movement (on average) that most T’s have. My 2 cats are far more interested in the snakes. Lol

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My cats like to look at my tarantula. He rarely shows any defensive signs but I’m just wondering if they’re stressing him out my main concern is I think he might be in premolt. He won’t eat and the bald spot he had when I got him looks like it’s getting bigger. He has a shelter but I added more substrate and he hasn’t been back in it.
Will he molt if he feels threatened?
If he starts molting and the cats watch him could that hurt him?
Cats are excellent T killers, that's proven- good luck.

How would they stress out your T, let's understand your logic.