are mafia scorpions communal?

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
after seeing my scorpions, my friend is interested in getting a couple. and he wants to get 2 mafia scorpions and put them in the same tank. i jst wanted to make sure they can be kept together.

Baphomet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Although I have heard of others keeping H. spadix communally, I would advise against it. They tend to be more than a little agressive towards one another unless exacting conditions are met.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I believe "Mafia scorpions" are Anuroctonus phaeodoctylus. They tend not to be very social.

Cheers,
Dave

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Exact conditions are usually between 50 and 60% humidity for desert scorps. Not very difficult to maintain in any stateside location (if that's where you are), except Louisiana and Mississippi in the US. *lol* Plenty more outside that though that reach nearing 100% humidity often. Only thing is numbers going too high as far as Hadrurus species go. Mafia scorps are quite devilish though and I, like Dave, wouldn't trust them together. Breeding is not that difficult, but don't go on vacation while the female's gravid.

adios,
edw. :D

Baphomet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
I believe "Mafia scorpions" are Anuroctonus phaeodoctylus...
That is why I trust the scientific names versus the "common" or pet-trade names of many scorps.

Both Hadrurus spadix and Anuroctonus phaeodoctylus can be found by the common name of "Mafia Scorpion".

I suppose a person can call their pet scorp a "Golden Dingleberry" if that is their desire; but pinpointing the species with it's scientific name, although not as appealing to many, can help in answering inquiry's much more accurately.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Who has Hadrurus spadix listed as a mafia scorpion? I've never heard of the term being given to them. Blacktrunk, blacktop, nevada hairy and a few more have been deemed as more common titles to reference this species. Mafia scorpion is and has been used to refer only to Anuroctonus phaiodactylus, in my experience, and from all references and sellers I have found in the past. I'm by all means not saying you are incorrect, but am merely curious as to know who has given them this name as reference and to attempt a correction if it may be avail to do so.

adios,
edw. :)

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by Baphomet
I suppose a person can call their pet scorp a "Golden Dingleberry" if that is their desire;
What's the care like for those? ;)

Cheers,
Dave

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I hear they take well to high humidity to stay moist and when the enclosure starts to smell, you should change substrate immediately, to avoid the creatures that may eat such a specimen. Flies, being one. *lol*

adios,
edw. =D

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Ditto to what edw said ...I too have never heard H.spadix referred to as a 'Mafia scorp'

John
];')

biznacho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Check this site

http://www.walkwildside.com/scorpions.htm

This site has H. spadix listed as a "Mafia Scorpion". It is the only place i have ever seen Mafia scorpion associated with any Hadrurus. It also has H. arizonenis listed but with Desrt Hariy Scorpion as its common name. Looks like htey got good prices though.

biznacho

Baphomet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There are several "jobbers" that I know who, on occasion, refer to H.spadix as "mafia" scorpions, including:

World Wide Reptile
California Reptile
Industrial Reptile

In addition to seeing both listed as mafia scorpions at the following reptile shows:

Pamona, CA
Sacramento, CA
Petaluma, CA
San Mateo, CA

As a matter of fact, at the last reptile show in Pamona (December '02), there were two arachnid dealers/breeders whose booths were within 100 feet of each other...one had h.spadix and the other had Anuroctonus phaeodoctylus listed as, you guessed it, Mafia Scorpions.
Go figure?

...which is why, as stated earlier, I prefer the scientific name when referring to or about scorpions. As evidenced, when a common name is given, there can be two differing opinions as to what it is. When referred to by a scientific name, we are all on the "same page", so to say.

Last edited:

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Which is why I just sent out a few e-mails only moments ago. The thing is, the hobby can only grow as fast as the intelligence in the hobby. If we choose not to correct the mistakes of others and ourselves, how are we to ever learn more about them and get the hobby to a more respected level? My choice is to do my best to correct any mistakes that I and others may make and I will expect others to do the same with my mistakes and others. Thank you for the info. We'll just have to see if they do anything to attempt to correct their mistakes. I told em' I may place an order through them soon, being honest, but using it as an edge to make my point and make them think about it closer.

adios,

Baphomet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Which is why I just sent out a few e-mails only moments ago.
…Thank you for the info. We'll just have to see if they do anything to attempt to correct their mistakes.

XO,

I have tried, and I won't metion names as you will soon see that one of those in particular will respond in the most arrogant, "Don't tell me, I've been doing this for years"- type attitude. :mad:

The other two may well respond (as they did with me) with a somewhat more respectable "As long as well list the scientific name correctly" - type reply.

I would like to point out, and thank, all those who replied/responded to this thread regarding the "common" name of a scorpion in a mature fashion...believe me, I have been to other forums where a thread like this would have resulted in a MASSIVE flame-war.

...maybe that is why I keep coming back eh? :)

~Wade

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Wade,

I agree with you -- to a point.

One of the problems with the scientific names is they lead to some false sense of security regarding the identity of the specimen. The tag is only as good as the person who determined it, which often doesn't say much. If someone is unsure about what they have, I'd rather have them give it some bogus common name than give me a scientific name they pulled from their nether-regions. All too often, though, they will just pick the scientific name of something that looks similar and present it as fact.

Another issue is accesability to novices. I recently participated in a reptile show and made the mistake of putting only scientific names on my tanks. The result was that many people breezed past my enclosure. Of course another funny thing about that was that people seemed incapable of picking out the animals, even when they were sitting in plain view.

Lastly, despite the tendancy of non-novices like us to use the scientific names and put down the use of common names, if you really think about it, we are as guity as anyone. Not only do we still use common names, but we often use even more vague or ambiguous terms. What, for example, is a "rosey?" A "pokey?" And what about the shortened scientific names. P.trans etc. And then there is the use of outdated, misspelled or incorrect names.

All that being said, I do agree with you. The use of scientific names on price lists does generally lead to a better idea of what you are getting, especialy if you can trust the dealer. Novices would do well to learn some common scientific names and when it comes down to specifics, almost everyone in the know will switch to the scientific names.

Cheers,
Dave

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Baphomet,

I have encountered quite a few poeple with such attitudes about the corrections, but I merely hope at least one of them takes me seriously, otherwise, I don't order from them. Then, they can take that seriously. You are right about some of those people and however much I wish they weren't in the trade, there will always be someone there to make a mistake. I, nor anyone else, is not completely immune to mistakes, as everyone here knows. I just feel better about things when I admit to my mistakes, as I believe everyone should and I do "try" people sometimes to see if it works with them. Yes, you are right, many will not. By the way, it's the ones that say "I've been doing this for years", that I love! heheh... I always have my own remark for that one. Then, they feel really ignorant and never talk to me again. *lol* They almost always make the correction though.

Dave,

You are right about everyone causing some degree of neglect to the names. I do attempt to do my best in fashion to explain my point of views and any information I may be giving, as to keep from leading someone into the groups of misled persons on the subject. I do attempt, when speaking with someone who is not very familiar with the subject of scorpions, to keep from refering to scorpions as P. trans, etc, upon initial conversation. Indeed, I have caught myself a few times doing such things. When I have already stated the title Parabuthus transvaalicus, I will almost always add in some of the more commonly used terms by the more experienced persons of the trade. It gives the inexperienced person a few more key terms to look for with the species in question.

adios,

Good day, gentlemen.

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are 3 pics of them in the scorpion files under iuridae family shows female has like a dark black i guess had had ever only seen pics of the light color males.Both are great looking scorps.