Are LP's always hungry?

jeryst

Arachnopeon
I recently had another forum member (Thank you Grant) give me a Lasiodora Parahybana. It's around 3" and I'm pretty sure its a male. Due to a recent long distance move, he had not fed his T's for a while.

I have never had an LP before, and I am not accustomed to their behavior, so perhaps someone could enlighten me a little. First of all, this thing is an eating machine. If I put 5 crickets into the cage, it will stalk and kill all 5 at once, jam them all into its mouth parts, and eat them all at the same time. I've done this for several days, and it acts like it is ravenous.

He also seems to have extremely good eyesight, as he will attack a cricket on the other side of the enclosure, finds them if they hide behind the water dish, and even pulls them out of the water dish if they stumble into it.

In comparison, my Chaco, which is around 5", acted completely different before she went into hiding. If I would put several crickets in the cage, she would catch one when it touched her, and eat it, totally ignoring the others. She would eventually eat all of them, but only one at a time, and they would have to be very close to her.

So do all LP's act this way? Should I just keep feeding it as much as it wants, or should I back off? I put 5 or 6 medium sized crickets into the cage every day, and he just gobbles them up. After he is done eating them, he takes frequent walks, as if looking for more. He is also extremely aggressive, attacking my tongs when I put them into his cage. And talk about fast, wow!

Last edited:

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
Well that is the same with my lp. The just eat like they wont get any ever again. But feeding him so much will boost his growth but shorten his life span. I give my lp 2 crix 4 times a month and he seems happy lol

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
So what ive been reading is true then lol these guys are little eating machines. Well until they get bigger then they are big eating machines. This advice will help me to considering im getting one as well.

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My 4 year old 7 inch female slowed way down on this last molt. I keep her at 83 degrees but she eats one blaberus roach about once every other month ! She seams fine, just does not eat like she used to ! I have tried a variety of foods too.

Bob

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They got great appetites when their that size....... even when it gets bigger....... yes it's normal for them to take more than a few preys in one sitting....

Peace!!!

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My LP Diablo is an eating machine too, and smacks my tongs if they have not got crickets in them (like when I'm housecleaning)
He just recently moulted so I'm glad to see him eat well :)