Are licenses needed to sell millipedes if it’s a hoby

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I was wondering if I need a license to sell some millipedes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
Short answer: no, although if they are native to your state, collection/possession/sale may be regulated.

Longer answer: many/most (mine, anyway) states require all sellers to collect and remit sales tax. If your hobby becomes more than a hobby, you may also have to declare and pay income tax, but you are probably not likely to fall into this category by selling millipedes.

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
Some millipedes are regulated by Aphis, and need a PPQ 526 permit to legally keep, let alone sell or trade; it's dependent on your species. So, short answer, yes; but conditionally. See here for another member's adventures into permitting. I work institutionally so have my permits done for me :) which is handy, and keeps my head from exploding. Ymmv.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I only have bumblebees and scarlets and I live in ca so there are not many invert laws

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I only have bumblebees and scarlets and I live in ca so there are not many invert laws
With millipedes it is federal regulations, not state regulations, that are the problem.

Anyways, those two species are naturalized in Florida, so you can sell them without a permit.

Thanks,

Arthroverts