Are invertebrates conscious? a questionnaire.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Not many people, including myself, will readily click any random link to participate random questionnaire for random stranger (with very 1st posting with very unconvincing nickname).

You will have to, at least, provide more backstories than just hoping, and thanking in advance.

Last edited:

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
idk about questionnaire however i have been working to explore/prove my theory that arachnids are indeed sentient animals

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
idk about questionnaire however i have been working to explore/prove my theory that arachnids are indeed sentient animals
I'm a newbie to the hobby but I do have my suspicions. My A. avic only comes out of its cork when I open the sliding door to feed it. This is a new behavior that I've noticed in the past few weeks, not something she did previously.

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
I clicked on the link, and it appears safe (it is a Google Forms thing).

That said, it is one of those "surveys" that strongly leads to a conclusion -- like those ones that lead to "Donate Money To Our Cause!", but this one stops at suggesting that it is in the service of "animal rights" activists (yes, those are scare quotes).

Hypothesis: this is a PETA-type activist. OP, prove me wrong.

Screenshots of the "questionnaire":

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 2.58.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 2.58.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 2.58.44 PM.png

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
hi everyone, first time poser here. I was hoping thatanyone with some spare time could answer my questionnaire for me? thank you in advance.https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...1Ol8TrUnu-8FFPtWETwsGdRA/viewform?usp=sf_link
Some friendly advice ...

TLDR - Explain yourself and clarify your intent.

Asking random people (who you do not know and are not familiar with you) to participate in something without any context at all will not yield you any positive outcome. It would help to benefit you, if you gave a bit of information as to why you want people to fill out your questionnaire, and to what purpose. Context is key! The more details that you can provide surrounding this request, the better the response will be. ;)

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
I’ve had numerous locust cling to their egg carton when I’ve been removing them from their box to be fed to my spiders - genuine fear and awareness of impending doom? I think reflexive action myself, as they don’t seem aware of the giant spider looming over them once they’re in the tank. UK law doesn’t consider them sentient. As such, we can legally ‘live feed’ with insects. We can’t live feed snakes with mice, rats, or rabbits over here though - since mammals are considered sentient and it is therefore deemed ‘cruel’.

Edit: found this useful document from the Canadian senate, which focuses specifically on pain.

The UK perspective (and legislature) may actually be pain based rather than sentience based, although the two are obviously related.

Last edited: