Are hissers cannibalistic?

craze horse

Arachnosquire
20170116_192106.jpg Yeah water in the corner is fine or gel rather, I made a mistake of having a small bowl with some cotton pads filling it up so they couldn't climb in and when I came home one had indeed climbed in and drowned. Spray them twice a week or something. They're quite Hardy. The roach outside the exoterra is an old shed I have in perfect form. Gets a lot of comments from visitors.

Last edited:

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
View attachment 229392 Yeah water in the corner is fine or gel rather, I made a mistake of having a small bowl with some cotton pads filling it up so they couldn't climb in and when I came home one had indeed climbed in and drowned. Spray them twice a week or something. They're quite Hardy. The roach outside the exoterra is an old shed I have in perfect form. Gets a lot of comments from visitors.
Nice viv, I think I need to get a bigger one for sure. That is a perfect shed, just wow! When do they shed and how often? Is there anything I need to do for them before during and after?

craze horse

Arachnosquire
Nope. Just leave them to they're own devices. Roach keeping is simple. Feed and water them and don't let them get cold and they'll be very happy. If they're warmer they are more likely to have young. You don't prepare for a shed they just do it when they are ready. When they shed they emerge white and darken over a few hours. Do not touch them. You'll probably not find any shed exoskeleton as after a shed they usually eat it. They shed when they're ready I guess, I think a hisser matures in around 9 months ? Not sure how many sheds in that time. Would guess every couple months providing they were eating well and growing.

craze horse

Arachnosquire
20170117_214031.jpg just a pic to show how close my roaches are. All in close proximity no problems or anything. I've used a red light for the pic as I didn't want to flash and stress them out.

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
I want more girls with all my guys ! I think I have 8 males and 1 female !
I got my girls with furnished viv at a show, fairly cheap. I need boys, time to make some babies haha. I gave the girls some dog food as you reccomended and they haven't really touched it, maybe their not hungry, I'll wait another day and maybe freshen it up and try again.

craze horse

Arachnosquire
Is it slightly moist ? They may not be hungry or may not have found it ! Mine don't go crazy for it, they eat when they want to. It's always there and they 'graze' as and when. It won't need freshening up. Maybe after a week .
Don't over analyse things. They're very Hardy and will be fine. Don't expect huge amounts to be eaten, they're very small !

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Is it slightly moist ? They may not be hungry or may not have found it ! Mine don't go crazy for it, they eat when they want to. It's always there and they 'graze' as and when. It won't need freshening up. Maybe after a week .
Don't over analyse things. They're very Hardy and will be fine. Don't expect huge amounts to be eaten, they're very small !
I moistened it a little. This is my first step into the world of critters so I guess I may be overthinking it lol, just want to do things right and not kill them haha. So I'll leave the dog food in there and see how it goes. I'm giving them some fruit today so that should make them happy.

craze horse

Arachnosquire
Happy days. I found a large adult female this evening which put a smile on my face. Surrounded by over half a dozen crazy males....... she's bound to cause trouble !

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Happy days. I found a large adult female this evening which put a smile on my face. Surrounded by over half a dozen crazy males....... she's bound to cause trouble !
Awesome, I bet the males are going nuts. When the lights go out it should get interesting haha.

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Well ive been giving them dried dog food and also fish flakes. I've noticed a lot of the dog food getting smaller where they've been eating it. Do they have a preference for fruit that's gone off ? I've noticed they never touched the apple in there until it turned. I've also found TWO more adults
They're very big and I don't know how I could possibly have missed them. I laugh when people specify that you must have ridiculous sized homes for even a few roaches, I read somewhere that 5 gallon tank for 5 roaches ! I'm not sure the exact size of mine probs two at best, and my roaches rarely come out from under there Cork bark except for at night when they're clearly partying.
I haven't had much luck with dog food, and I've offered mine a wide array of fruits and veggies, they don't eat the fruit, it sits until it turns and I take it out. Mine love romaine and spinach, it's the only stuff they eat. Worried their not eating enough. Where can I find a jelly with protein? Is that good for them? How often should they have it?

craze horse

Arachnosquire
I've always got a few jellies in there.though apparently they are just sugar jelly and not protein. Possibly check eBay? My hissers are quite fussy as to what they eat, I've noticed they favour certain things. Namely baby corn and will demolish huge amounts of lettuce over night. They love the fish flakes and dog food though. Mine aren't too keen on fruit. Usually anything green and full of water for mine. I've tried strawberries and all sorts. In the forest they scavenge what they find on the floor so a bit rotten won't put them off !

Last edited:

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
I've always got a few jellies in there.though apparently they are just sugar jelly and not protein. Possibly check eBay? My hissers are quite fussy as to what they eat, I've noticed they favour certain things. Namely baby corn and will demolish huge amounts of lettuce over night. They love the fish flakes and dog food though. Mine aren't too keen on fruit. Usually anything green and full of water for mine. I've tried strawberries and all sorts. Timber they scavenge what they find on the floor so a bit rotten won't put them off !
I need to pick up some fish flakes still, definitely going to do that. Mine love green veggies and won't touch anything else, still haven't touched the dog food either. Trying to get to the bottom of a mite problem, I posted a new thread on it but maybe you have some input.