Are hissers cannibalistic?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've counted 25 youngsters all alive and happy and 3 adults. Will rescue them shortly and give them a good telling off ......
If by "rescuing" you mean moving the styrofoam to let them out, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm pretty sure they can get themselves out any time they feel like it. We've had geckos do the same thing. Just turn the cage around and leave it with that side facing out, toward the light - they should all skitter off to the dark side of the scenic backdrop.

craze horse

Arachnosquire
Lol its a thought. I plan on blocking the gap at the top and putting more bark in there go hides

craze horse

Arachnosquire
Well I blocked that gap at the top with some super dense foam. The viv us looking quite active now lol, just a shame they've all remembered where they used to hide, as they all keep going to see where the hole has gone. Plenty of damp Cork bark and hidey places for them everywhere but no one is using them!!!!!

RTTB

Arachnoprince
A vendor at last weekends Reptile Super Show I heard explaining that you cannot keep males together. What's the reason for that?

craze horse

Arachnosquire
I'm not sure why ? I've at least 6 fully grown hissing males living quite happily together and many juveniles all quite content.
Came home to see this guy who had just shed his exo skeleton!
He then returned a couple hours later to dine on his husk, only leaving the head. Quite an appetite ! IMG_20170113_172819_536.jpg 20170113_204810.jpg 20170113_212417.jpg

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
Baby sweetcorn, broccoli, lettuce, cabbage, asparagus tips anything that's available. Always a couple of jellies in there as well as constantly sprayed. This thread is pointless now as I just moved the three pieces of bark which are overlapped to see how many were around adults included and it appears they've been playing hide an seek. I must have at least 10 fully grown adults and about 30 babies at least. All around the inch mark. Since the cooler weather here I have put a heat mat in and they're all hidden away and warm. Just didn't realise they could have all been in that one spot. Must be a very close family....
In my experience the veggies listed above are on roaches ignore list. They seem to ignore green leaf veggies. The broccoli and asparagus soiled quickly.

craze horse

Arachnosquire
Noooooo , baby sweetcorn and lettuce (lots of) can vanish overnight. Asparagus shows signs of tasting but not thing on the fish flakes and expensive dried dog food my dog has ! Lol

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
I heard explaining that you cannot keep males together. What's the reason for that?
Don't know why you were told that. In an enclosure that is too small the males will fight for room, but with plenty of space, there's no issue. My dudes barely hiss at each other.

craze horse

Arachnosquire
My viv is a nice size, not massive but a nice size, they've got plenty of hides etc and space to get away from each other but they choose to hangout very very close. Sometimes hanging off there mates who are clung to the glass. Quite comical really. I do hear the occasional hiss, but then it could have been a fart.....lol

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Dry food is fine, you can also provide cuttlefish bone for calcium. I've found that pond sticks make a great additional dry food as it contains spirulina powder.
I have three, I'm new at this. So they need to eat dog food for protein? How big and how often? Is there a brand you would reccomend?

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
They will do it sometimes. I feed my Hissers dry cat food (blue buffalo), romaine lettuce, apples, bananas, oranges, watermelon, mango, carrots, moist white bread, beef/chicken/turkey/banana-orange baby food (no spices or lemon juice), and dry oak tree leaves. I've had one attack and that's it mine are very well fed.
Hello, how often do you feed them? I've been feeding mine spinach, romaine, apples and bananas..recently read about dog food, do you think cat food is better?

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Well ive been giving them dried dog food and also fish flakes. I've noticed a lot of the dog food getting smaller where they've been eating it. Do they have a preference for fruit that's gone off ? I've noticed they never touched the apple in there until it turned. I've also found TWO more adults
They're very big and I don't know how I could possibly have missed them. I laugh when people specify that you must have ridiculous sized homes for even a few roaches, I read somewhere that 5 gallon tank for 5 roaches ! I'm not sure the exact size of mine probs two at best, and my roaches rarely come out from under there Cork bark except for at night when they're clearly partying.
I have three in a 6x6 home. They stay under their bark most of the time. Do I need to keep water in there? How often should I spray the walls? Do I spray them directly? I live in so cal, do I need to do anything extra to keep them warm (we've been unusually rainy and chilly lately).

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
My viv is a nice size, not massive but a nice size, they've got plenty of hides etc and space to get away from each other but they choose to hangout very very close. Sometimes hanging off there mates who are clung to the glass. Quite comical really. I do hear the occasional hiss, but then it could have been a fart.....lol
I haven't heard mine hiss yet. I have three females, they don't move very much, I seriously dig them but want to make sure I m caring for them properly before I purchase more (which I want to like asap). They all huddle together, they eat when I feed them (usually at night), but they tend to stay hidden under bark 95 percent of the time. Is that normal?

craze horse

Arachnosquire
From the little I know it sounds normal, they won't hiss until adults or thereabouts, I give dried dog food pellets moistened with a water mister and I scatter fish flakes near the pellets. They are thriving on it. They always have food around and graze when they need to. I've quite a few, my exo terra viv at a guess must be roughly 12 x 12 x 18 2 large pieces of bark and some vines stuck on the glass where they love to be mostly or else just on the back styrene wall at the top. Occasionally I hear a couple hisses, at least once a day. They're very content I think. I've been giving them a water mist every couple days which whilst they strongly dislike they have a good drink off the glass afterwards!

craze horse

Arachnosquire
Don't know about cat food, my dog is diabetic and on a high protein dry food and my roaches are thriving on it. I do occasionally give them greens but to be honest since I've been giving them the dog food they hardly touch the greens.

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
From the little I know it sounds normal, they won't hiss until adults or thereabouts, I give dried dog food pellets moistened with a water mister and I scatter fish flakes near the pellets. They are thriving on it. They always have food around and graze when they need to. I've quite a few, my exo terra viv at a guess must be roughly 12 x 12 x 18 2 large pieces of bark and some vines stuck on the glass where they love to be mostly or else just on the back styrene wall at the top. Occasionally I hear a couple hisses, at least once a day. They're very content I think. I've been giving them a water mist every couple days which whilst they strongly dislike they have a good drink off the glass afterwards!
Thank you so much. A couple more questions, so you keep dog food in the viv at all times, like readily available? I was under the impression that they would eat themselves to death, but you keep them fed constantly? What kind of food do you buy? And what's your thoughts on handling them? I've tried to hold them but their strong and seem to almost suction to the wall or whatever their holding.

craze horse

Arachnosquire
Yeah I keep food on the substrate which I change once a week if it's left, I also have woodlice cleaning up as well, I use a food called specific, it's £85 for 12kg :anxious:. My dog is diabetic and needs the best ! As for handling, if you put your hand in front of them and give them a gentle nudge if they move they should climb onto you. Never force them. I do enjoy handling them sometimes. My only concern for your hissers is the size of the container is very small. I'm by no means an authority on cockroaches but any questions I'll try to answer. IMG_20161115_200310.jpg 20170114_122450.jpg 20170114_122520.jpg

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Yeah I keep food on the substrate which I change once a week if it's left, I also have woodlice cleaning up as well, I use a food called specific, it's £85 for 12kg :anxious:. My dog is diabetic and needs the best ! As for handling, if you put your hand in front of them and give them a gentle nudge if they move they should climb onto you. Never force them. I do enjoy handling them sometimes. My only concern for your hissers is the size of the container is very small. I'm by no means an authority on cockroaches but any questions I'll try to answer. View attachment 229381 View attachment 229383 View attachment 229384
I think my initial guesstimate of my enclosure size was wrong, its more like 10X10x10.

Attachments

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
I think my initial guesstimate of my enclosure size was wrong, its more like 10X10x10.
I bought the viv all set up as seen at a show, I just gave the girls some food as you reccomended and they are making their way to the bowl. My concern is their humidity level, want to make sure it's moist enough in there, I keep water in the corner not sure if that's needed but made me feel better lol.