are fungus gnats harmful?

isopodluvr

Arachnosquire
Theres some kind of small fly (i believe they are fungus gnats as I've seen them living in our shower as well which is moist) that has infested my narceus gordanus tank. I am almost certain they are harmless but I just wanted to check. Also, for millipede owners, how have you gotten rid of them in the past?

Polenth

Arachnobaron
They're harmless and also act in a cleanup crew role. Numbers went down for me after adding springtails, but I still have small populations of fungus gnats and fruit flies. I hoover up extras to feed to the fish.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
I've recently had a fungus gnat infestation. I let the top 1.5" dry out and the fungus gnats couldn't lay viable eggs. You could also take the millipedes out and then bake and/or freeze the substrate. They're mostly harmless aside from being a pest.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
They might be another type of fly that is after the rotting substrate. Not really a problem, just annoying

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
To get rid of fungus gnats in an invert enclosure you either have to dry out the substrate or change it. Drying it out worked in the case of my isopod enclosure.

I think the only real harm in fungus gnats is possible nematode spreading and psuedoscorpions, but most people would be glad to see the ladder

quirinus

Arachnoknight
some people use "SF Nematodes" against FGs, species is called "Steinernema feltiae"
i read a lot of positive feedback in a german tarantula forum.
i just ordered some and gonna test it in one enclosure..
not sure if they also kill my springtails..

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Fungus gnats are not usually harmful but I do despise them. They get in my coffee, fly up my nose, skittle across my monitors.

Because isopods are my passion these days (and I have a lot of water loving house plants) I just can't seem to get rid of them. The only thing I found that really controlled them well were those yellow sticky traps, but I can only use them in the coldest part of the winter. In the warmer weather my house gets a lot of jumping spiders (probably because I have fungus gnats lol) and I just can't bear the thought of catching any of them on that sticky stuff. Heck, even though I hate the fungus gnats I still feel a bit bad for them too - has to be a horrid death being caught on those sticky traps.

Do be warned though if you use them - those sticky traps catch everything and most smaller critters will be killed or maimed just trying to get them off of the traps. They should probably come with a huge, flashing warning for those who can't think things all the way through. Just go over to Amazon and read the one star reviews from people that were mortified to find geckos, birds and other desirable wildlife stuck to the traps after they took the advice of the sellers to place all over their gardens and yards. I mean, really? Who would do that and NOT realize that the traps will catch anything that touches them. Warning - folks giving reviews also give good reviews for catching snakes and tarantulas that they then stomp on to 'finish the job'.... hum, now that I type these things out, I am thinking they should outlaw sticky traps as cruel :sad:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
The gnats are a source of food and entertainment for our roaming huntsman.

quirinus

Arachnoknight
Fungus gnats are not usually harmful but I do despise them. They get in my coffee, fly up my nose, skittle across my monitors.

Because isopods are my passion these days (and I have a lot of water loving house plants) I just can't seem to get rid of them. The only thing I found that really controlled them well were those yellow sticky traps, but I can only use them in the coldest part of the winter. In the warmer weather my house gets a lot of jumping spiders (probably because I have fungus gnats lol) and I just can't bear the thought of catching any of them on that sticky stuff. Heck, even though I hate the fungus gnats I still feel a bit bad for them too - has to be a horrid death being caught on those sticky traps.

Do be warned though if you use them - those sticky traps catch everything and most smaller critters will be killed or maimed just trying to get them off of the traps. They should probably come with a huge, flashing warning for those who can't think things all the way through. Just go over to Amazon and read the one star reviews from people that were mortified to find geckos, birds and other desirable wildlife stuck to the traps after they took the advice of the sellers to place all over their gardens and yards. I mean, really? Who would do that and NOT realize that the traps will catch anything that touches them. Warning - folks giving reviews also give good reviews for catching snakes and tarantulas that they then stomp on to 'finish the job'.... hum, now that I type these things out, I am thinking they should outlaw sticky traps as cruel :sad:
ahm.. who uses them outside? that's indeed not "thought through".. to say it in a polite way.
i only use them on top of my enclosures, i caught 100s of fungus gnats and only one normal fly, nothing else so far..