are euro scorps rare to find?

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i was wandering why scorpions from the Euscorpius genus aren't relevant in the hobby, and i don't seem to find any info on them, just wikipedia lol i see they are found in Italy, Spain, Switzerland and some other places as well.

Mesx

Arachnopeon
i was wandering why scorpions from the Euscorpius genus aren't relevant in the hobby, and i don't seem to find any info on them, just wikipedia lol i see they are found in Italy, Spain, Switzerland and some other places as well.
I have seen a few Euscorpius italicus around but that's it and it dosn't answer your question :)

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Who says they are irrelevant in the hobby? Maybe in the US, but in the EU several species are fairly common in the hobby, not as

Wikipedia is nice information for people from elementary school, the info about scorpions is often incomplete and/ or erroneus, so that you did not find anything is not very surprising to me :) Wikipedia can be very handy, but don't use it as single informationsource.

Cheers, Michiel

PS. Take a look at www.terraristik.com from time to time, people regularly sell Euscorpius.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Euscorpius are awesome scorpions ;) theyre extremely active and so feisty :D

funnily enough it was finding an E.tergestinus corsicanus in my home village while on holiday which brought me into the scorpion keeping hobby!

couple of pics of my old euscorps!

E.flavicaudis subadult with 3 termites :D
http://www.chaerilus.co.uk/terms.jpg

E.flavicaudis adult female
http://www.chaerilus.co.uk/flavfem.jpg

E.tergestinus corsicanus + pullus
http://www.chaerilus.co.uk/tergbabies.jpg

wish i had taken better pictures of my old euscorps :( their small size is definately not influencing how feisty they are :D

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I only kept E.tergestinus, but they are funny little scorps. Like George said, they are feisty. What I didn't like is the feeding of Drosophyla flies to the yougn and the level of attention the young need, but that is a personal thing. If you have enough time on your hands, this is no problem of course.

Trexer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow that first pic is awesome Carnell. What a machine, just holding up his trophies lol

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i was wandering why scorpions from the Euscorpius genus aren't relevant in the hobby
because they are not very big, not highly venomous and grow up slowly.

it seems that only scorpions that fulfill these criteria advance in the hobby....

E.italicus

E.concinnus

E.flavicaudis

E.tergestinus

E.sicanus

E.sp "Xanthi"

E.hadjii

E.sp "Paros"

freeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They are small but on the other side they are cheap, active and fun to look at, especially in a big groups. Personally venom potency is not a criterium that makes me pick a species to keep. I'm starting with group of 13 E.italicus right now. They are the biggest in genus.