Are A. Versicolors Trouble?

R

Rookie

Hey all,
Another one of what will probably be a barage of questions. I was browsing on a dealer site, and they had classified the A. Versicolors as a good T for beginners. Is this true? If they are, I'll probably spring for one since they're so beautiful. keep in mind that this will be my VEY FIRST Tarantula, so it has to be pretty low maintenance. thoughts anyone? if anyone who has, or currently is raising one can give me some info it would be greatly appreciated.
Again, thank you spider folks for your endless wisdom.
The Rookie

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Versicolors make pretty decent first spiders, but be warned: They're very fast and nervous. That said, they shouldn't bite or kick hairs often (says the guy who's first bite was tonight from a versicolor ;) ). If you can handle a spider that may run out of the cage when you open it, usually onto your arm, than they're pretty decent :)

-Bryan

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Rookie
Hey all,
Another one of what will probably be a barage of questions. I was browsing on a dealer site, and they had classified the A. Versicolors as a good T for beginners. Is this true? If they are, I'll probably spring for one since they're so beautiful. keep in mind that this will be my VEY FIRST Tarantula, so it has to be pretty low maintenance. thoughts anyone? if anyone who has, or currently is raising one can give me some info it would be greatly appreciated.
Again, thank you spider folks for your endless wisdom.
The Rookie
I would recommend an "easier" t for a first tarantula. versicolors are prone to doing "runners" when small, they have higher humidity requirments and need good airflow along with the humidity. they are stunningly beautiful t's though and if you are willing to put forth the slightly higher effort than some of the "easier" t's than go for it.
I would like to suggest two books that are very informative:
"tarantulas and other arachnids" by marshall
"tarantula keepers guide" by schultz
both books together should cost less than 20.00 at your fav book retailer.
Ed

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree on that one. I saw how fast my b.smithi and my a. avic ran when I first got them into their new homes. I was well prepared when I got my a. versicolor s'ling and had no problem with her. But it was a little tricky. You might do better with a G. rosea because they are pretty calm and docile and they don't seem to move all that fast. I've held one and pet both of my G. roseas, and no problems. Just do like atavus said and please read up before you make your choice. T's are delicate, so be educated first. :D

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've found them to be less-than-hardy as spiderlings, as Ed mentioned, fairly sensitive to humidity and airflow. For a first tarantula, I would suggest something in the genera Brachypelma, Aphonopelma or Grammostola. Most of those spiders are very hardy, and range in price from very cheap to very expensive depending on species.

Wade

P

Phillip

I love em...

The only problem with them I have is that they got me hooked on the hobby to start with. Versis are awesome spiders and althought the humidity should be watched they aren't very tough to keep. They are more fragile when just hatched though until they molt a few times then they toughen up pretty well.
Phil

hope the pic works.

P

Phillip

versi pic..

Bingo guess I'm not that computer stupid after all. heh heh
Phil