Ardyin's True Spiders: Rosemary and Quack

Swamps

Arachnopeon
I've just begun my journey to the spider-keeping hobby. I started with True Spiders and I'm hoping to start keeping T's within the next couple of years. Please don't mind that my constantly shaky hands make blurry photos.

My oldest is a Phidippus Regius, around adult age. Her name is Rosemary.
20210413_230910.jpg 20210413_210156.jpg

Next one is a brand new addition to the family. They were a wild spider that watched me from my window and I decided to take them in a couple of days later in a secondary enclosure I had. I'm not sure what they are, I'm assuming a Phidippus, and since I'm in WA, I think it's an Audax. I have named them Quack. I'm also assuming they are female and/or a baby.
20210429_191322.jpg 20210429_191419.jpg

Swamps

Arachnopeon
Actually, speaking of Quack, they have been very still. I know spiders aren't really active, but Quack is a slightly worrying amount of still. They act practically dead for hours (curled up and all), then suddenly move a tiny bit. I've seen them drink water at least, but I have yet to get them to eat any of the food I've handed them. I have never experienced a spider molt yet so I'm wondering if that's what's going on. They just curl their legs in and won't respond to anything (one time, after being still for 5 hours, I got a little nervous and tapped the sub next to them). The only thing making me think it could not be a molt is that they haven't really tried to web up anywhere, both in the enclosure and on their old home on my window. 20210430_191210.jpg 20210430_191256.jpg

Last edited:

DreadMan

Arachnosquire
I think Audax is a stretch, considering how small it looks and how still it is. I dont see any coloration on it, so I would not say its a bold jumper. I would say its a some Hyllus species, but I cant be sure. Some jumpers move very little, so I wouldn't be worried, unless when you touch it and it still doesn't move.

Swamps

Arachnopeon
I think Audax is a stretch, considering how small it looks and how still it is. I dont see any coloration on it, so I would not say its a bold jumper. I would say its a some Hyllus species, but I cant be sure. Some jumpers move very little, so I wouldn't be worried, unless when you touch it and it still doesn't move.
Actually, yeah, you're right. They most likely are a Hyllus. They are moving considerably more than they were yesterday. They scurried away instead of just moving a single leg over or being still. I only have personal experience of what my Regius does so I was a bit worried about how still they were. Thank you!

Swamps

Arachnopeon
Rosemary Update

I noticed earlier this past week that she was making a thick webbing in the corner of her enclosure (she hadn't really picked a home spot until now). After two or so days, I found her clutching an egg sac. I'm not sure if the breeder I got her from catches these spiders from the wild, so I will be covering the vent holes with nylon just to be safe. Though, I've heard on the vine that Jumpers lay eggs no matter if they've mated or not. Got at least one more week to prepare for a possible avalanche of baby Rosemarys. She's gone from really chubby to pretty small, which gives me the same feeling as when you see a friend take off their glasses in front of you for the first time.

Attachments

Swamps

Arachnopeon
Rosemary Update

After only a couple months of owning Rosie, she passed from old age this morning. I found her in a stiff death curl on the bottom of her cage. I bought her as an adult so I knew I didn't have much time left with her.

I'll preserve her since she was my very first spider. Rest easy, baby.