Archimandrita tesselata hissing?

Bulldog08

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So I was feeding my peppered roaches and picked up one and it hissed at me? I didn't know they did that lol. They are pretty neat critters but that made them go up in my book. I was just wondering if anyone else has these and if hissing is common or rare?

Bulldog08

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have only had my colony for a month or so. I've picked them up a few times with no hissing, then I got a surprise. It was an adult male if that matters. It seemed rather pissed too... it hissed then ran up my arm.

Bulldog08

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
there wasn't a smell thank goodness. I was thinking of getting a few B.Giganteus ill have to keep smell in mind now lol.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mabye I should take a short video of my roach hissing, it should be loud enough to hear when i'm recording. It does it when picked up quickly or blown on, but if I pick it up gently it doesnt hiss.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
One of my peppereds just molted into an adult male, and it will hiss when I pick up the container.

Carolina_wolfie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes, peppered roaches DO hiss. Mine hiss sometimes too. So, Madagascar hissing roaches AREN'T the only ones which hiss!

So I was feeding my peppered roaches and picked up one and it hissed at me? I didn't know they did that lol. They are pretty neat critters but that made them go up in my book. I was just wondering if anyone else has these and if hissing is common or rare?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
my lobster roaches N. cinerea also make hissing like noises

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my lobster roaches N. cinerea also make hissing like noises
I'd say more like squeaking.

The hissing noise is produced by air going through spiracles, and lobster roaches seem to make their noise by rubbing parts of their exo together.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd say more like squeaking.

The hissing noise is produced by air going through spiracles, and lobster roaches seem to make their noise by rubbing parts of their exo together.
ha, squeaking, yeah

stijnghesquiere

Arachnopeon
Today, I discovered that my Archimandrita tesselata roaches do hiss as well. I was completely surprised that one of my 2 year old males hissed when I touched him. Pretty much the same way as a Madagascar roach does. There was no smell released upon hissing (luckily).
Apparently, these roaches do hiss, but not very commonly, or I would have heard it before I assume. Nonetheless I'm surprised that I cannot find other references to this behavior, except this forum thread.
So I did try to make a video of the hissing action. The quality isn't optimal, as only a red light illuminates the enclosure. To improve viewing, I converted it to black/white. The hissing is also quite faint, but nevertheless audible.

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
The adults can make a hissing sound by rubbing the wings and the abdomen, different from Gromphadorhina-esque hissers and the squeaking stridulaters like lobsters and Madeira.
Are you reporting nymphs hissing?

stijnghesquiere

Arachnopeon
The adults can make a hissing sound by rubbing the wings and the abdomen, different from Gromphadorhina-esque hissers and the squeaking stridulaters like lobsters and Madeira.
Are you reporting nymphs hissing?
No, the adult males do. At least one does when in it's cage. If I take it out, it refuses, but being relaxed on a piece of bark, it does when being pressed. I also thought at first that it was by rubbing or something external, but on closer inspection, it actually inflates and then deflates it's abdomen, producing the sound. It's a different sound compared to moving their wings. I'm pretty sure that they produce it through their spiracles. Best test would be of course to remove the wings.... but that appears to be a bit cruel to me.