Arboreals - Hunting Feeding, Enclosure Techniques

Jeff23

Arachnolord
As I plan to expand into other Genus from Avic's, I am curious on how other arboreal only T's should be handled as far as placement of feeders, hunting techniques of the T in captivity, and enclosure selection.

As I have learned from experienced folks in this forum, Avic's go up when moving to safe protection. The usually face downward from near their nest to search for prey, but sometimes actively move around to hunt. Due to their nature, a wide variety of containers such as AMAC enclosures and Deli Cups work for them while Juv's or slings (depending on your preference).

This discussion does not include T's that act more like terrestrial since I am more comfortable on how their environment should be setup (Psalmopoeus cambrigei, Psalmopoeus reduncus, Cyriopagopus schiodtei, Lampropelma violaceapes, etc.) Feel free to say if I am wrong on any of those mentioned species.

Psalmopoeus (NW) - Pulcher, Langenbucheri, irminia, emeraldus, ecclesiasticus, victori (I know. I am dreaming of this one being available).
Tapinauchenius (NW) - Gigas, Violaceus, etc.
Poecilotheria (OW) - Metallica, Ornata, etc.
Lampropelma (OW) - Nigerimum, etc.

I suppose these other T's won't work in AMAC's well due to speed / demeanor / venom potency, etc. but I am curious if there are any differences for them on how you handle their environment and feeding. Do they actively hunt for prey or face downward as well, etc.? Do any of them do better in a larger than normal arboreal style enclosure, etc.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I have my P.pulcher slings in bigger enclosures than needed, to give me more working space, without them going zippy on me. Same goes for the T.violaceus. From what I've seen, they have no trouble at all hunting down prey or scavenge. The pulchers aren't afraid of anything, and take down mid-sized locust. My A.versi runs from them, even though she is bigger than they are.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
O.v.'s (aka Lv aka Singapore Blue, they are no longer Lvs. Jeff ;) ) require a more moist substrate. They are incredible tunnelers. All of the ones I owned make the most irregular shaped tunnels as slings. They are shy, but have a very quick feeding response IME. They grow very fast, with large size gains between molts IME. Definitely keep some spare containers around with good depth for them. They are very fast and can be unpredictable at times more so than other OW Ts.

cold blood

Staff member
Avics are really the only ts that are truly arboreal their whole life. Others all spend a lot of time at ground level, especially when smaller.

In fact many can b kept almost terrestrially, or what some might consider semi-arboreally.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I hear most Tapi's can be kept similarly to a Psalmo, but I could be wrong. IMO, I think most arboreals should be kept in bigger than needed, just to give them their space when working with them regardless of sp. As for pokies, they like to have a cork hollow (at least that's what others have said works). Similar humidity to Psalmos as well. Not an expert though, I also want to get into more arboreals ;)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Avics are really the only ts that are truly arboreal their whole life. Others all spend a lot of time at ground level, especially when smaller.

In fact many can b kept almost terrestrially, or what some might consider semi-arboreally.
Now that is interesting. I wonder if this affects their durability at all. Supposing I use a container with a larger amount of substrate but don't have vertical items covering the full width of the container means that one side of the container would have potential for a bigger drop if the spider jumps since it can't web up that area. From the opposite perspective, if the whole container is filled vertically, then it may create a bigger challenge for the spider to find prey.

The semi-terrestrial setup is actually a big plus when searching for containers. Up through 32 oz deli cup everything is okay. But once the size needs to go above that size the options go down. There are a lot more options for tall containers with snap on lids that are also elongated (for more ground level terrain). I have found a couple pure arboreal choices for empty containers, but they have screw on lids or they aren't close to clear.

cold blood

Staff member
Aside from avics, all my arboreals move out of 32 oz deli cups at about 3", from there they go to round, almost Tupperware style containers with a big piece of leaned wood and a good deal of room, but only about 6" of vertical height. Having extra room makes it a seamless transition...from there they go to adult enclosures (although males usually mature in this transitional semi-arboreal set up)...adult enclosures are sterilite tubs, which are more of a traditional arboreal set up.

This is one of those transitional set ups.