arboreal tubs

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Most people don't use plastic the use cork bark tubes but I assume you could use PVC or some other plastic as far as enclosure for an ardorial that big you should have a fare amount of space and it should be more vertical height than floor space 1489145212676-309771752.jpg this is what I have my MM A Avic in and it's actually larger than it needs to be but you can see the height versus the floor space the only down fall with a cage like this is there isn't much cross ventilation which arboreals need which is why a lot of people buy enclosures made for arboreals or they repurpose plastic containers that can be easily drilled

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I suppose you could use something like this (Whitefurze 10l) if you wanted to go really cheap, I use it to mix up and store substrate but it's about the same size as an Exo Terra Nano Tall and would be easy to modify, only problems are that it's top opening which might make maintenance a pain in the buttocks and visibility isn't perfect (this one's all scratched up but they're not perfectly clear even when brand new).

DSC00001.JPG

Last edited:

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Cereal box.

I've since removed the extra blue plastic on the inside and turned the top around. That way when I open it I can drop food right onto the avic's web. Ice also put the permanent water bowlin which is larger.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I am still trying to figure out a low cost solution on this as well. Eventually I will have a bunch of Psalmopoeus, Tapinauchenius, Avicularia, Caribena, and Ybyrapora slings/juveniles needing big enclosures.

I have some of Jamie's enclosures but at $80 a pop the budget will break. Her large enclosures are 8" x 8" x 14". I think this size would be too small for a 6" tarantula as well. She also has some 12" x 12" x 24" enclosures for $185. Yikes!

The correct size needed depends on whose rules are being implemented. The Tarantula Handbook which is a little dated right now doesn't clarify between terrestrial and arboreal but says 2X tarantula for width and and length should be 2X width of the enclosure. For arboreal, I would assume length equals height and width would be applied for both of the other two dimensions. So a 6" tarantula would ideally be in a 12" x 12" x 24" enclosure. More active and fast tarantulas along with ones that are semi-terrestrial may create a desire for a different size or shape (Tapinauchenius, Psalmopoeus, Poecilotheria , etc.)

A Sterilite tub seems like the best target. It could be converted so that it sits vertical. You need to test the container since some of them are sloped (not quite rectangular). The lid will require some modifications or replacement since you don't want to remove the whole lid every time you feed or do maintenance. The lid could also be replaced with a few small sheets of clear polycarbonate for best results. In that case you would want to make sure the lip of the tub is straight (no curved sections) to allow for gluing of pieces and attachment of latches. I am not sure what type of glue would be best for attaching polycarbonate to the softer plastic.

EDIT* Most of the enclosures presented so far on this thread look too small to me.

cold blood

Staff member
I am still trying to figure out a low cost solution on this as well. Eventually I will have a bunch of Psalmopoeus, Tapinauchenius, Avicularia, Caribena, and Ybyrapora slings/juveniles needing big enclosures.

I have some of Jamie's enclosures but at $80 a pop the budget will break. Her large enclosures are 8" x 8" x 14". I think this size would be too small for a 6" tarantula as well. She also has some 12" x 12" x 24" enclosures for $185. Yikes!

The correct size needed depends on whose rules are being implemented. The Tarantula Handbook which is a little dated right now doesn't clarify between terrestrial and arboreal but says 2X tarantula for width and and length should be 2X width of the enclosure. For arboreal, I would assume length equals height and width would be applied for both of the other two dimensions. So a 6" tarantula would ideally be in a 12" x 12" x 24" enclosure. More active and fast tarantulas along with ones that are semi-terrestrial may create a desire for a different size or shape (Tapinauchenius, Psalmopoeus, Poecilotheria , etc.)

A Sterilite tub seems like the best target. It could be converted so that it sits vertical. You need to test the container since some of them are sloped (not quite rectangular). The lid will require some modifications or replacement since you don't want to remove the whole lid every time you feed or do maintenance. The lid could also be replaced with a few small sheets of clear polycarbonate for best results. In that case you would want to make sure the lip of the tub is straight (no curved sections) to allow for gluing of pieces and attachment of latches. I am not sure what type of glue would be best for attaching polycarbonate to the softer plastic.

EDIT* Most of the enclosures presented so far on this thread look too small to me.
sterilite set ups cost me about $10, and thats the complete set up....i wouldnt use anything else....every arboreal i have is in a tub.

Trenor

Arachnoprince

I think your over estimating the enclosure size a lot of these Ts need. In my experience arboreal Ts do not roam about like terrestrial Ts do. My Avics, Psalms, and pokies setup up a home and spend the majority of time in there. Given a cork tube, my 6+ P.cam will stay in there the majority of the time. She pokes toes out and gets fed. The same with my Avics. Once they have made their web funnel they rarely leave out except to eat or drink. They have plenty of room in the enclosure to roam but rarely do. Their homes are safe and they stick to them.

As far as pokies go.... I've been having a friend translate that German Pokie book for me and here is a quote from The Terrarium – Furnishings and Maintenance section.

In Poecilotheria spp. it is mainly uncomplicated care. Even terrariums in the dimensions 20x30x40 cm (length x width x height) (7.9x11.8x15.748 inches), are sufficient to their keeping and breeding. For smaller species (for example, P. subfusca) even enclosures of 20x20x30 cm (length x width x height) (7.9x7.9x11.8 inches) are sufficient. Such small terrariums do not have any negative effects on the well-being of the animals, which also show a rather limited movement and space requirement in nature.

Some of the larger species might need to go up to a bigger size enclosure but for most of them I think the shoeboxes I linked should work fine. For really big T's I'll use modified 5 gallon aquariums (on it's side) should they need them.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I try to have the cage at least three times the height of the legspan. I just go to Walmart or Target and hunt around for cages I like.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
So a 6" tarantula would ideally be in a 12" x 12" x 24" enclosure.

A 2ft tall enclosure for a 5-6" Tarantula would be a massive waste of space though, anything up to and including 5" would do fine in an 8x8x12 enclosure, pretty much anything over that bar the very largest arboreals (we're talking upwards of 9") would be fine in a 12x12x18 enclosure.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I think your over estimating the enclosure size a lot of these Ts need. In my experience arboreal Ts do not roam about like terrestrial Ts do. My Avics, Psalms, and pokies setup up a home and spend the majority of time in there. Given a cork tube, my 6+ P.cam will stay in there the majority of the time. She pokes toes out and gets fed. The same with my Avics. Once they have made their web funnel they rarely leave out except to eat or drink. They have plenty of room in the enclosure to roam but rarely do. Their homes are safe and they stick to them.

As far as pokies go.... I've been having a friend translate that German Pokie book for me and here is a quote from The Terrarium – Furnishings and Maintenance section.

In Poecilotheria spp. it is mainly uncomplicated care. Even terrariums in the dimensions 20x30x40 cm (length x width x height) (7.9x11.8x15.748 inches), are sufficient to their keeping and breeding. For smaller species (for example, P. subfusca) even enclosures of 20x20x30 cm (length x width x height) (7.9x7.9x11.8 inches) are sufficient. Such small terrariums do not have any negative effects on the well-being of the animals, which also show a rather limited movement and space requirement in nature.

Some of the larger species might need to go up to a bigger size enclosure but for most of them I think the shoeboxes I linked should work fine. For really big T's I'll use modified 5 gallon aquariums (on it's side) should they need them.
Thanks for quoting me. I think this is one thing that a lot of us newer hobbyist struggle with because no rules are published for this. So it sounds like a Sterilite tub similar in size to the large ones by Jamie will work best (combination of price and size).

I have a 3.5" female Tapinauchenius cupreus in one of Jamie's enclosures. She never leaves the small area of her hide except when she hunts a cricket. I haven't seen her in the upper third one time yet. I almost wish I had put her in a Hobby Lobby basketball enclosure (modified). If the basketball display case (10"x10"x10") was just a little taller it would also work for the pure arboreal T.

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
sterilite set ups cost me about $10, and thats the complete set up....i wouldnt use anything else....every arboreal i have is in a tub.
A 2ft tall enclosure for a 5-6" Tarantula would be a massive waste of space though, anything up to and including 5" would do fine in an 8x8x12 enclosure, pretty much anything over that bar the very largest arboreals (we're talking upwards of 9") would be fine in a 12x12x18 enclosure.
Would you say that a Psalmopoeus cambridgei (adults up to 7") would need 12"x12"x18"? Does it matter that these are partially terrestrial (hang out at substrate)? All of mine are currently large slings. They are creating dirt tunnels/curtains all over the place so it is hard for me to figure how that translates to an adult.

EDIT* Failed to mention they are currently in 32oz deli cups

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
What kind of plastic tubs or enclosures do you use for a 5 to 6 inch arboreal tarantula
What species of tarantula will you be putting in the enclosures. I didn't intend to distract from your question if it is for different species than I have mentioned.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Would you say that a Psalmopoeus cambridgei (adults up to 7") would need 12"x12"x18"? Does it matter that these are partially terrestrial (hang out at substrate)? All of mine are currently large slings. They are creating dirt tunnels/curtains all over the place so it is hard for me to figure how that translates to an adult.
That'd be fine for an adult P. cambridgei, I don't own that species yet (I have a juvenile P. irminia and P. pulcher sling and neither have really burrowed at all) but it would probably set up camp in a cork tube if you provided an adequate sized one and only leave it to hunt/drink/defecate/dump boluses.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Be careful if you use PVC because during a different thread I had read that if you cut the PVC it slowly releases chemicals that caused the death of a few juvies from another member's collection.

As for containers, the Dollar stores offer a pretty good selection of clear plastic for arboreals. Your local Goodwill may have something. Mine had one of those round aquariums that came with the stand for $15, it was like a 45 gal. Also came across some really nice clear containers ^_^

cold blood

Staff member
I think your over estimating the enclosure size a lot of these Ts need.

Yeah, one thing about sterilite is that the ones I use for adults are quite roomy, roomier than they certainly require. But I think that extra room makes routine maintenance just that much easier....as well as making for a nicer looking enclosure for me to look at.

Last edited: