Arboreal terrarium maintenance

crawley07

Arachnopeon
Does anyone have pictures of self made or custom made terrariums used for containing arboreal spiders ? I want to see the plants how they look and what kind of plants would need less maintenance ?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Does anyone have pictures of self made or custom made terrariums used for containing arboreal spiders ? I want to see the plants how they look and what kind of plants would need less maintenance ?
Most people in the USA tend not to use live plants, there are however many that do in Europe. If you check out YouTube and even Pintrest you'll see a fair amount of beautiful vivariums with live plants.

RMJ

Arachnosquire
Bromeliads, Lemon Grass and Pillow Moss :)

I use a syringe to water the 'wells' on the bromeliads twice a week and trickle water at the base of the lemon grass and over the pillow moss weekly.

Low maintenance IMO as Im usually visiting the vivarium for viewing and feeding anyway :) A.Versi.jpg

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Bromeliads, Lemon Grass and Pillow Moss :)

I use a syringe to water the 'wells' on the bromeliads twice a week and trickle water at the base of the lemon grass and over the pillow moss weekly.

Low maintenance IMO as Im usually visiting the vivarium for viewing and feeding anyway :) View attachment 215677
What kind of soil is in that? As in you have the roots potted with nutrient rich soil or something?

Also, is that red and blue spectrum leds?

RMJ

Arachnosquire
What kind of soil is in that? As in you have the roots potted with nutrient rich soil or something?

Also, is that red and blue spectrum leds?
Its a Baltic Peat with moss and small lava stones, holds moisture well but it isnt too damp so ideal for humidity levels. The lemon grass is just planted straight into it no pot.

The LED light is one of these bulbs with a remote, there are several LEDs in the unit and I can choose colour variations. so mix upto 12 different shades and combinations. I tend to use the plain Red more than the others for viewing at night :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Its a Baltic Peat with moss and small lava stones, holds moisture well but it isnt too damp so ideal for humidity levels. The lemon grass is just planted straight into it no pot.

The LED light is one of these bulbs with a remote, there are several LEDs in the unit and I can choose colour variations. so mix upto 12 different shades and combinations. I tend to use the plain Red more than the others for viewing at night :)
You can also use blue for night viewing if it isn't super bright. It's easier to see the critters.

RMJ

Arachnosquire
You can also use blue for night viewing if it isn't super bright. It's easier to see the critters.
Thank you,
It is quite bright, she doesnt seem to mind any of the colours really, I just know that RED is not seen by them :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thank you,
It is quite bright, she doesnt seem to mind any of the colours really, I just know that RED is not seen by them :)
Correct, I used to use red, but switched to blue.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree!

Blue is much better for our eyes. While tarantulas are more sensitive to blue than red, we see much better in blue than red.
Blue doesn't hurt their eyes if it isn't too bright. There are plenty of people using blue for nocturnal exotics, including Ts and scorpions. Blue is like a moonlit night.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Blue doesn't hurt their eyes if it isn't too bright. There are plenty of people using blue for nocturnal exotics, including Ts and scorpions. Blue is like a moonlit night.
Sorry, I wasn't very clear: I think blue is actually the best choice of lighting for tarantulas.

What I meant is that their eyes are only slightly more sensitive to blue where human eyes are largely more sensitive to blue so it's actually a better choice than red.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sorry, I wasn't very clear: I think blue is actually the best choice of lighting for tarantulas.

What I meant is that their eyes are only slightly more sensitive to blue where human eyes are largely more sensitive to blue so it's actually a better choice than red.
Yeah, it's a better choice for humans (blue), we don't disagree.