Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

arboreal tarantulas

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by meaghan, May 29, 2011.

1. blackrayne

blackrayne Arachnopeon

va
    Advertisement
    ....those 2 sentences make me not be able to believe anything else you say...how is it reasonable to hold any tarantula (let alone skittish arboreals) without all of your attention on it??...that is ignoring the handling/not handling debate all together, and focusing on having a venomous, jumpy spider in one hand and your attention on something else...that's just plain stupid...what if you dropped it, or it wiggled free and ran off, or you dropped its house and destroyed it, or any of the other million things that could go wrong with this situation...why set yourself up for failure like that?...

...as far as the 2nd statement: NO P. cambridgeii or P. irminia are NOT docile, are not stable like avics, are very skittish, and i personally would not recommend them to someone who is looking for another avic type spider that can be handled (again, not touching that subject)...they are much faster, hotter, and tolerate mistakes a lot less than avics...with that said, they are BEAUTIFUL and i love mine and would recommend them to someone who wants to get a spider that will be a show stopper, just know what you are getting when you buy one...

2. Tell me about it!!!;P

3. synyster

synyster Arachnobaron

I knew I was retired from the thread but...

@Chris Thanks for pulling a Chuck Norris! I lol'd{D

Now to the OP, don't handle Psalmopoeus. Get a species your comfterable with and move on from that. I re-recommend A.versicolor ;)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  4. ArachnoYak

ArachnoYak Arachnoknight

Feel free to believe what you want to believe kids, you never show your aces. Yeah I've only been keeping T's for 5 mos{D

While we're looking things up I quite like this one:

Oh yeah experience at work. OP you should take advice from this guy he obviously knows what he's doing.

Then why recommend an avic when you don't even handle them yourself?

Epic fail. Sounds like Psalmos aren't really your thing anyway.

Here's a neat one this is from today:

And yet there's this one from the beginning of this month(May 2011):

Which is it 15yrs? 17yrs? 1 yr? 5 yrs? Do you make it up as you go along? Is it measured in increments? ie 3 weeks=2years

5. Bosing

Bosing Arachnoangel Old Timer

To the TS, just stick with the Avicularia genus if you consider yourself a beginner wanting to handle arboreal Ts. But be aware also that avics possess urtricating hair. They just don't kick them like brachys do. So don't go wondering why one day you'll get all itchy and stuff.

In my experience, my P. cambridgei, P. pulcher and P. irminia would not hesitate to show me their shining shimmering fangs whenever disturbed. So if you'd ask me if they're more "defensive/aggresive".... the answer is a resounding YES.

And to Boorantula, you don't have to post your last post as clearly that is way off the topic and is not helping the thread starter in anyway.

6. Nerri1029

Nerri1029 Chief Cook n Bottlewasher Old Timer

<mod note>

Please keep to the topic.

Some of the "rebuttal" is bordering on personal attacks.

present your views, experience and opinions respectfully or infractions will ensue.

7. Armstrong5

Armstrong5 Arachnosquire

GA
    I second the GBB but man I must have an angel of an H. mac bc mine is by far the calmest OW I have. By the way mine acts thats what I would recommend but I guess theres always an exception! Go with a versicolor or a GBB!!You will not regret it!!

8. Chris_Skeleton

Chris_Skeleton Arachnoprince

So you've handled Psalmos for years, but when you got a G. rosea 5 months ago, you hoped to "someday" handle it?

I don't think anyone here can believe a word you say.

On topic:
    Avicularia versicolor.

9. meaghan

meaghan Arachnopeon

geez....if some of you guys were Ts, no one would ever hold you...all this vicious-ness and what-not...:eek:

10. JC50

JC50 Arachnobaron

I have both the versi color and a GBB and both are awesome tarantulas and i don`t think you would be disappointed with either choice.Best of luck with whatever you decide.

11. synyster

synyster Arachnobaron

I don't think it's viciousness as I was cleary trying to warn you against holding Psalmos. I think I stayed respectful and left the thread at the right moment. I got attacked after but feel no need to defend myself. I think it's just that anyone who has kept psalmos knows their not good for handling. Most T's are display pets only if you don't want it to result in a bad outcome. For this reason, lots of us have agreed to suggest you get Avicularia versicolor. Of course, you know what level of T you feel comfterable with, and if you decide on another species, feel free to ask for more precise information on that sp. In particular. Threads do not always derail like this but it happens. But luckily, most of the members here are respectful, friendly and honest:)

Let us know for sure what your final decision is!

12. definate thumbs up on the a. versicolor. my a. metallica is more docile than my B. albopilosum and shes pretty relaxed at her worst.

13. Well you could a get an avicularia or a Tapinauchenius species which would be cool. Or...... you could get something awesome like the Lampropelma violaceopes (singapore blue). They are bit defensive but nothing to worry about if you respect it and aren't planning on handling it blue3.jpg

blue 2.jpg .

14. matt82

matt82 Arachnoknight

Hey, first time poster here, Interesting thread... :razz:

I have kept various exotics over the years, but like yourself (OP)I'm relatively new to T keeping too...

I started with Avics - A. versicolor, A. geroldi, A. sp Peru... and a C. cyaneopubescens (GBB) thrown in for good measure...

Both Avics and GBBs were mentioned as starters, and having started with these myself, I would say yes, they are great starters, visually rewarding, generally savage appetites (esp the GBB) and are on show reasonably frequently...

I haven't kept one yet (although it is my next T) but from my research into these beautiful T's, P. irminia are not to be classed in the same bracket as the general bulk of the Avicularia genus, as far as potential handle-ability... maybe not as lethal as some OW bites, but definitely a T to be healthily respected, still no reason not to get one, they are very attractive T's

I think common sense plays a big part, so in theory, if you wanted something a little more feisty, then get it! P. irminia would be a cool choice T, but listen to ppl that are giving a warning!

Some photos of an Avic. versicolor, for the interest of the OP...

A. versicolor sling / juvi, this enclosure is no longer web-less lol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or a C. cyaneopubescens / GBB, although its not really an arboreal! Having started with these myself, I would recommend either...
    [​IMG]

Post molt, MRP...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  15. Shimotsukin

Shimotsukin Arachnopeon

In my experience whether a tarantula can be considered docile or not depends on the individual tarantula. I have had tarantulas considered docile by the general consensus act like demons and vice-versa . But with that being said, some species are generally more docile than others.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.