arboreal tarantulas

theconmacieist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
All and all I would say go with what you are comfortable with. If you have your heart set on one with a little more venom and you use your common sense and do your research you will be fine.

ArachnoYak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Edit: to reply to the post above me, I just don't recommend handling any Psalmopoeus species. Yes P.cambridgei is well mannered compared to it's P.irminia cousin, but they are fast and unpredictable and can pack a nasty bite.
I've handled both P. irminia and P. cambridgeii for years and have never had any issues. And the fact that they have no urts puts them at the top of the list. Fast yes, unpredictable no.

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Avicularia diversipes are no way near docile:)
Oh? Are they more defensive than other members of the genus? My two slings seem docile.

Just a heads up,since it was not mentioned.Taps have a HOT bite,and IMHO next to an S.cal are the fastest t's out there....Just something to keep in mind
I was under the impression that their bite would be similar to an Avic's. I take back the recommendation, then.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

How about Avicularia minatrix? They look quite different from other pinktoes:

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my experience (from 1/2 to 4"):

P. imirnia: more likely to freak out and run and escape. VERY skittish. Less potent venom

P. regalis: runs away but keeps in the container pretty well. Venom is more potent.

HotPocket

Arachnopeon
I just got A. versicolor and A. metallica recently. The metallica is way calmer than the versi. if you want to handle it i would say metallica. But the versi is gorgeous! So you really cant go wrong with either.

Mattybofmd

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Id say Avicularia Urticans or Purpurea out of my Versicolor, Bicegoi, Huriana, Metallica, Diversipes and Minatrix those 2 are the most docile and Purpurea is stunning

Tym Hollerup

Arachnoknight
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (Green Bottle Blue) are semi-arboreal and if you get one as a sling, go through some awesome color changes as they grow/molt. They are awesome webbers, hardy, eat well, and docile. You will pay less for a sling as well. I highly recommend one of these!
I really wouldn't agree with this, simply because GBB's have been know to be VERY skittish! Mine is EXTREMELY skittish.

synyster

Arachnobaron
I just can't believe that i'm actually reading posts that recommend handling P.cambridgei and P.irminia! My cambridgei literally tried to kill me today as I was only taking an exuvium out of the enclosure. Psalmo's are not recommended to be handled. Hooray to you who says he handled Psalmo's his while life and all I can say is that you have gotten lucky up until now. Your day will come i'm sure...

Now as the OP seem's to be fairly new to this genus, please do not post information like this that can lead to an unappreciated outcome.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just can't believe that i'm actually reading posts that recommend handling P.cambridgei and P.irminia! My cambridgei literally tried to kill me today as I was only taking an exuvium out of the enclosure. Psalmo's are not recommended to be handled. Hooray to you who says he handled Psalmo's his while life and all I can say is that you have gotten lucky up until now. Your day will come i'm sure...

Now as the OP seem's to be fairly new to this genus, please do not post information like this that can lead to an unappreciated outcome.
+5 syn lol.... told u id quote u one day;P way to look out for the new guy lol just cuz ya CAN handle nasty ts doesnt mean YOU SHOULD! if ya play with fire...:embarrassed:

ArachnoYak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

It's really not that big of deal. It won't work if you're scared though. But please let's not paint these spiders as unhandlable because yours tried to "kill" you. For the op I still recommend P. cambridgeii and P. irminia. Disregard this nonsense about them being "nasty" spiders. If well-fed and watered they are well behaved arachnids.

synyster

Arachnobaron
It's really not that big of deal. It won't work if you're scared though. But please let's not paint these spiders as unhandlable because yours tried to "kill" you. For the op I still recommend P. cambridgeii and P. irminia. Disregard this nonsense about them being "nasty" spiders. If well-fed and watered they are well behaved arachnids.
Ok please do not tell me you are one of those people who think that spiders feel you fear...

I do not know your level of experience with T's but all I can say is after 17 years in the hobby and 8 years of keeping Psalmo's, i've never seen one of mine not be somewhat defensive. I'm glad you can prove your level of testosterone by handling yours, but suggesting that to a beginner is wrongful information. It's not that I don't recommend this spider to the OP as I even suggested H.maculata earlier, but never would I mention to just go and handle it because some idiot on youtube did. Of course you may have got 1 calm Psalm, but I have a docile P.murinus and I don't suggest anyone to handle them just because of that. And given your spider has just been well fed and out of it's enclosure with cool temps in the house, any specimen will be less prone to bite. But hey, tell me, is it worth the risk?

Overall, my experience and my opinion says don't handle Psalmo's.

meaghan

Arachnopeon
Thanks to everyone for your input. Ive been doing my research on all the species mentioned, and ive narrowed it down to A. purpurea, A. versicolor, and P. cambridgei. Hopefully the breeder has them and at a good price. I will post on saturday what T i get.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Go for the versi, cambredgei isn't all that friendly (despite what some would have you believe), and the other avic is a little more pricey.

synyster

Arachnobaron
Go for the versi, cambredgei isn't all that friendly (despite what some would have you believe), and the other avic is a little more pricey.
+1 for the versi. Beautiful docile arboreal species

ArachnoYak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok please do not tell me you are one of those people who think that spiders feel you fear...

I do not know your level of experience with T's but all I can say is after 17 years in the hobby and 8 years of keeping Psalmo's, i've never seen one of mine not be somewhat defensive. I'm glad you can prove your level of testosterone by handling yours, but suggesting that to a beginner is wrongful information. It's not that I don't recommend this spider to the OP as I even suggested H.maculata earlier, but never would I mention to just go and handle it because some idiot on youtube did. Of course you may have got 1 calm Psalm, but I have a docile P.murinus and I don't suggest anyone to handle them just because of that. And given your spider has just been well fed and out of it's enclosure with cool temps in the house, any specimen will be less prone to bite. But hey, tell me, is it worth the risk?

Overall, my experience and my opinion says don't handle Psalmo's.
Let's just say my level of experience exceeds yours by about 10 years and that should suffice. I don't handle my Psalmos to "prove" my "level of testosterone". It's a matter of practicality. I usually clean the enclosure with one hand and hold the spider with the other. I don't much care for youtube idiots either. And I've got several dozen psalmos that are well-behaved, well-fed and well-heated. My t-room is like a jungle. And I'm not telling the OP to handle P. murinus. We're talking about a P. cambridgeii here.

Overall my experience and my opinion tells me that P. cambridgeii or P. irminia both make great starter arboreals

To the OP get comfortable with your T and its movements and you can handle it. Psalmos are much better than Avics during handling because there are no urticating hairs to deal with.

synyster

Arachnobaron
Bravo:clap: Psalm's better handlers than Avic's huh? I think that's said it all...

And it's cambridgei with only one "i"

Edit: I'm retiring from this thread before I get too mad and post mean and useless words. Go ahead OP, do whatever you want and listen to the nonsense of the know it all above me. Don't forget to post it in the bite reports afterwards...

Last edited:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Psalmos are not good for handling, much less handling by a beginner. Sure Avics don't have urticating hairs, but their venom isn't as potent and they aren't as aggressive.

ArachnoYak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bravo:clap: Psalm's better handlers than Avic's huh? I think that's said it all...

And it's cambridgei with only one "i"

Edit: I'm retiring from this thread before I get too mad and post mean and useless words. Go ahead OP, do whatever you want and listen to the nonsense of the know it all above me. Don't forget to post it in the bite reports afterwards...
I'm here trying to help the OP and you're here being sarcastic and name-calling threatening to get "mean". Go ahead and "get too mad and post mean", if that's what you're here for. Whatever that means.

I'm here to help someone new to arboreals by sharing some experience with their care. Whether or not you handle is your preference as it is mine, it's not for everybody. As far as "useless words", I'd say you've got that pretty well-covered already.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Let's just say my level of experience exceeds yours by about 10 years and that should suffice. I don't handle my Psalmos to "prove" my "level of testosterone". It's a matter of practicality. I usually clean the enclosure with one hand and hold the spider with the other. I don't much care for youtube idiots either. And I've got several dozen psalmos that are well-behaved, well-fed and well-heated. My t-room is like a jungle. And I'm not telling the OP to handle P. murinus. We're talking about a P. cambridgeii here.

Overall my experience and my opinion tells me that P. cambridgeii or P. irminia both make great starter arboreals
So let me get this straight, synyster has been in the hobby for 17 years, but your experience exceeds his by 10 years? So you have 27 years of experience? Well that must mean you've been in the hobby quite some time...

Let's take a look

Wow. I just joined the boards, got my first T today. She's a rosehaired chilean. I hope she never escapes.
This one is from December of 2010, 5 months ago. Hmm..... Your first tarantula.

These are all also from December '10.
I just got into the hobby and I know I'm not the only one who keeps tarantulas in the great white north.
Hi, please excuse me if I'm wrong as I'm new to the hobby and I hope to someday handle my tarantula, but I noticed condensation frost on that deli container in your Hetaroscodra macalata handling vid. It looks like you just took it out of the fridge or freezer. I've read on here of some people cooling down their tarantulas to make them easier to handle but I thought that it wasn't recommended. If I have to do that before I handle my tarantula then maybe I shouldn't handle it at all.
From your own mouth, you have had a G. rosea for 5 months, and have only been in the hobby that long. And now you come on here running your mouth about how much experience you have.

Boorantula said:
Let's just say my level of experience exceeds yours by about 10 years and that should suffice.
So I can't figure out why you are lying?

Good work, we can all read your posts and see how much experience you have. :clap:

Last edited: