arboreal tarantulas

meaghan

Arachnopeon
I would like another arboreal T. I already have a pink toe and want a different species. What are the best ones for me to get? I would like a docile one that doesn't cost a gazillion dollars. I'm heading to a reptile expo next weekend so I need some answers before then. Thanks for your help!

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would like another arboreal T. I already have a pink toe and want a different species. What are the best ones for me to get? I would like a docile one that doesn't cost a gazillion dollars. I'm heading to a reptile expo next weekend so I need some answers before then. Thanks for your help!
When you say you have a pinktoe, I'm guessing you mean A. avicularia? If you're open to getting another Avicularia species, , I say go for A. versicolor, A. purpurea, or A. diversipes. They're all beautiful and unique. Otherwise, as far as arboreals go, not very many are docile enough to be handled.

If you aren't planning to handle it, you could always try Poecilotheria regalis. Pokies have a bad reputation, but they're way more skittish than they are defensive. Do your research, respect it, and you should be fine. P. regalis is very affordable, too.

The only other genus I could think to suggest would be Tapinauchenius. They're relatively docile and beautiful, but nervous (I wouldn't handle them).

xeluc

Arachnopeon
I second Tapinauchenius. If you don't want to handle, Psalmopoeus can be really cool too.

synyster

Arachnobaron
docile arboreals = Avicularia's. This is the genus you want to get if you want a docile climber. For the rest, i'd personally choose P.irminia, P.regalis or if you don't mind an even nastier temper, H.maculata.

For the rest that need's to be said, I agree with astraldisaster.

MrEMojo

Arachnosquire
Id suggest P. irminia. They are very easy to come by and run at a fairly affordable price.
Gorgeous too!

FrostyCakee

Arachnosquire
if you dont mind getting another Avicularia sp. go for a A. versicolor. Very beautiful tarantula and is quite docile.
other then the avic sp i dont know any other arboreal T's that are docile.lol.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
docile arboreals = Avicularia's. This is the genus you want to get if you want a docile climber. For the rest, i'd personally choose P.irminia, P.regalis or if you don't mind an even nastier temper, H.maculata.

For the rest that need's to be said, I agree with astraldisaster.
Nastier temper and venom. I wouldnt recommend OW for her yet.

Check out other Avicularia, Psalmopoeus, Iridopelma, and Tapinauchenius.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus are far from friendly. My irminia is one of the spiders I like to deal with the least. Cambredgei is not shy either.

Bumblingbear

Arachnopeon
I have to give a +1 for an Avicularia versicolor.

My versicolor sling is the only one I feel comfortable handling. It's calm enough it won't make a mad dash into nowhere and hurt itself.

Raven9464

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (Green Bottle Blue) are semi-arboreal and if you get one as a sling, go through some awesome color changes as they grow/molt. They are awesome webbers, hardy, eat well, and docile. You will pay less for a sling as well. I highly recommend one of these!

Lawnmower599

Arachnosquire
p.cambridgei
they cost the same as p.irminia and have a more docile temper
from my experiance a.versicolor are not too nice i would go for a a.purpurea or a.peru purple both nice avics with a docile temper and both look great{D

synyster

Arachnobaron
p.cambridgei
they cost the same as p.irminia and have a more docile temper
from my experiance a.versicolor are not too nice i would go for a a.purpurea or a.peru purple both nice avics with a docile temper and both look great{D
I'm confused:? Are you saying that P.cambridgei are more docile than A.versicolor? If we generalize the species behavior, I wouldn't quite agree here...

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just a heads up,since it was not mentioned.Taps have a HOT bite,and IMHO next to an S.cal are the fastest t's out there....Just something to keep in mind

theconmacieist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just a heads up,since it was not mentioned.Taps have a HOT bite,and IMHO next to an S.cal are the fastest t's out there....Just something to keep in mind
What would you compare the bite to(full dose from adult)?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
From what I have READ( no personal experience) not far off from pokies....

ArachnoYak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus cambridgeii all the way. One of the most underrated spiders out there. Beautiful silver-green coloration, handleable, no urticating hairs. Way more out in the open than a P. irminia, and an entertaining feeder as well. Will literally catch prey out of mid-air.

synyster

Arachnobaron
From what I have READ( no personal experience) not far off from pokies....
True. Psalmo's and Tap's have a nasty bite for NW's. But either way, whatever arboreal you get, if it's not an Avicularia sp., respect and caution is a must (though IMO, the same goes even for Avic's).

Edit: to reply to the post above me, I just don't recommend handling any Psalmopoeus species. Yes P.cambridgei is well mannered compared to it's P.irminia cousin, but they are fast and unpredictable and can pack a nasty bite.