arboreal substrate

soopa1

Arachnopeon
ive been thinking of using reptile bark as a substrate in my arborea cage to keep baby crickets away. the only thing is that i dont think it will hold moisture well,and might mold. anyone ever tried this before?

VI6SIX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I personaly don't trust reptile bark for T's the way I control baby crictets is I buy prewing or immature crictets or if you have a small enough collection you can cut the ovapossiter off the female crictets (egglaying tube that hangs off there abdomen and that will stop the pinheadsfrom apearing as well

soopa1

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by VI6SIX
I personaly don't trust reptile bark for T's the way I control baby crictets is I buy prewing or immature crictets or if you have a small enough collection you can cut the ovapossiter off the female crictets (egglaying tube that hangs off there abdomen and that will stop the pinheadsfrom apearing as well
no dice! ive cut that thing off,and they still lay eggs.

VI6SIX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well if you use a substrate that kills baby crickets it'll probaly kill T's too like I said I use prewings a little smaller cricket but I barely have to deal with pinheads anymore

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I won't use any bark or wood, but grapewood or cork bark in any of my containers.
But then again, I don't feed crickets to spiders unless I KNOW they are going to eat them right then.
That solves that problem!

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm still at a manageable level (15 tarantulas) where I hand pick their feeders. The local pet shop allows me to just pick male crickets. It takes a little bit longer to get the crickets, but I don't have to deal with pinheads.
By the way, the only thing removing the ovidepositor does is prevent the female cricket from laying the eggs as deep. This can help as being closer to the surface, the eggs dry out and don't hatch.