arboreal spiders

swallowscott

Arachnopeon
looking at getting another arboreal spider, a few years back i had an indian ornamenal,

this time iv been looking at the fringed and red slate ornamental?
which is the prettier in your opinion?? i can only look at pics on the internet which doesnt always do the spiders justice,

also been looking at singapore blues,

any other arboreal, large colourful spiders you can suggest i look at?

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
P.irmina for one P.ornata of course or P.subfusca if you want to a pay a little more.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Colorful:
Cyriopagopus schioedtei (really big)
Cyriopagopus sp. "Sumatra Tiger" (really big)
Lampropelma nigerrimum (maxes out at around 6" and eventually turns black-ish)

If you like black:
Lampropelma sp. "Borneo Black" (big)
Cyriopagopus sp. "Sulawesi Black" (really big)

Not so big, but very colorful:
Encyocratella olivacea

And I'm not too good with common names but I'm pretty sure you mentioned that you were looking at either P. ornata or P. rufilata. Both would be good choices for large arboreal spiders. I don't know if you looked at any more of the Poecilotheria genus but you should definitely check out P. subfusca, P. metallica, P. tigrinawesseli and P. formosa. I'd pick all of those over either two of the ones you mentioned, but that's just personal preference. Good luck with whatever you choose.

swallowscott

Arachnopeon
the p metallica was my first choice, but i dont seam to be able to find out available in england, the P. subfusca is also a very nice spider but again i havnt seen any available.

i have a large tall exoterra set up which previously had a my lizard in, so im looking for a large tarantula

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jason's list is pure awesomeness.

I'd like to add P. cambridgei. They only top out at about 7" and aren't as strikingly colorful as the others. They have an understated beauty but they're activity and behavior really make 'em shine. I have a 5.5" female; she uses every inch of her 10 gal home, is not shy in the least, and is an incredible eater. She pulls some crazy stunts going after crickets. Definitely one of my favorites.

swallowscott

Arachnopeon
the p.metallica are by far in my opinion the best lookin spiders, but unfortunately expensive

iv narrowed it down to either Cyriopagopus schioedtei , p. ornata or p. rufilata.

i know the Cyriopagopus schioedtei are considered semi arboreal, does this mean the spend time both on ground and up high? or are they more terrestrial when young and arboreal when mature?

Any pics of members Cyriopagopus schioedtei, p. ornata or p. rufilata would be appreciated to help make up my mind :clap:

Last edited:

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice choices, all big spiders. I don't have any pics of my schioedteis that do the species justice but Nikt does http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=1822699&postcount=10 (hope he doesn't mind me showing his off, also has ornata and rufi in same post).

Mine are still slings, very shy and have both web and substrate burrows (multiple entrances). One of my favorite Ts!

I don't have the two pokie species you're thinking about but of the two, I like the rufilata more because of their green coloring and large size and the ornata more because of their bulkier size and sometimes green coloring. So yeah, can't go wrong :D

As is always the recommendation, get 'em all!

Last edited:

Hatr3d

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Heteroscodra maculata. Stunning, awesome T, really underrated. Not so big or colorful, but the patterns of females are incredible.

swallowscott

Arachnopeon
Good looking spiders, forgot to mention my other option is an OBT, ill be ordering tomorrow night and placing an order

swallowscott

Arachnopeon
just about to order my spider, and i see the websit has updated and now has 2cm p.metallica slings at £69. Very tempted