Arboreal + Humdity

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, I'm misting and covering the top with a wet rag and yet my P. Regalis (About an inch and a half) STILL insists on hiding on the ground in a burrow. (I've got it in the smallest critter keeper.. Probably too big yet, but it still shouldn't be hiding..)

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

actually... spiderlings of many species are prone to burrowing. In my experience Poecilotheria, Heteroscodra, and Psalmopeus do so.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Vayu's right. I have a few pokes that are in the 4" + range and they still stay semi burrowed most of the time. When they were younger I was lucky if they were semi out. Don't worry about it, they'll start to come out more and more as they get older.

Scott

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Valael
Well, I'm misting and covering the top with a wet rag and yet my P. Regalis (About an inch and a half) STILL insists on hiding on the ground in a burrow. (I've got it in the smallest critter keeper.. Probably too big yet, but it still shouldn't be hiding..)
had the same thing happen with my regalis......it had a hide built right at the bottom of the enclosure up against the background and a silk plant. I gave it a long (13" or so and about 2" i.d.) cork tube and it happily took up residence in that.
Ed

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah, just NO one around here sells cork bark.. I've searched at just about every place I can think of.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
use the search function and type in cork bark. I posted in some other thread about an online source for it. Too late for me to remember where though. :)

Scott

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I read once that pokes often make use of tree holes and will burrow into the debris in there, hence they can be considered to be "aboreal burrowers" :rolleyes:

I think the humidity needs for them is often over stated, at least when compared to Avicularia.

Wade