Arboreal enclosure--vent hole on top necessary?

WolvesInSpaceMarines

Arachnopeon
I am considering getting my first arboreal (and A. rufa) and the dealer I'm thinking of going through offers complete enclosure kits. Obviously, I'll need to drill holes in the sides for cross-ventilation, but I'm wondering if the top vent is necessary, or would it make the enclosure too dry? The enclosure is going to be a 3x3x6.5" or so AMAC box with a vent on the top. It will include foliage, a cork bark flat, water dish and an appropriate amount of substrate.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Top ventilation won’t hurt. Just needs lots of ventilation in general.

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
Heheh PNW Arachnids. I was wondering if anyone would guess which ones I was going through.
Avics don't want excessive moisture or humidity, top vent should be okay but as you know, cross ventilation is key

I prefer inverting the amac, small "lid" as a base and attach the foliage and cork bark to the larger "top" for an avic

Like this
IMG_20200507_142924.jpg

I took the enclosure Aaron sent me, pried the screen out and used packing tape to seal the 1" hole, then flipped the enclosure over, drilled etc

The red stopper doubles as a handle and a feed/watering port so I don't have to open the whole enclosure up as for avic slings it is best to drop water and food into their webbing

Kitara

Arachnodemon
PNW Arachnids or Jamie's Tarantulas?
LOL I guessed FNT, but looked and they don't have any as of now.

That's how I have my versi set up as well minus the vent hole at the top because I got mine from the container store.
20200507_170452.jpg

WolvesInSpaceMarines

Arachnopeon
I prefer inverting the amac, small "lid" as a base and attach the foliage and cork bark to the larger "top" for an avic
That's what I was thinking about doing. It seems as though a common problem is having the Avic at the top near the lid when trying to feed/do maintenance.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
That's what I was thinking about doing. It seems as though a common problem is having the Avic at the top near the lid when trying to feed/do maintenance.
When I bump or move the enclosure, my baby runs straight up. Having the opening at the bottom is very convenient. When I was talking to the guy at the expo he told me they do that and showed me how to set up the enclosure. However, my only concern is how the heck do I get her out to rehouse her? LOL I've been just sticking my head in the sand because she's just a baby, but yeah. Rehousing I'm not looking forward to.

WolvesInSpaceMarines

Arachnopeon
When I bump or move the enclosure, my baby runs straight up. Having the opening at the bottom is very convenient. When I was talking to the guy at the expo he told me they do that and showed me how to set up the enclosure. However, my only concern is how the heck do I get her out to rehouse her? LOL I've been just sticking my head in the sand because she's just a baby, but yeah. Rehousing I'm not looking forward to.
Yeah I haven't yet done a 'serious' rehousing and I'm also not looking forward to it. Especially with my older B. hamorii. He/she is one jumpy individual. Always looking for the cricket lol.

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
Yeah I haven't yet done a 'serious' rehousing and I'm also not looking forward to it. Especially with my older B. hamorii. He/she is one jumpy individual. Always looking for the cricket lol.
Well, you may have to wreck the enclosure, but if you are lucky you can invert it (place upside down) and coax the T out with a paint brush into a catch cup. Remember, they tend to go "up" so use that to your advantage.
Avics are cautious and it will be a slower process, compared to a Pokie or Tapi (think teleport) it's not that bad.

In a 3 x 3 x 7 size enclosure you can let it molt up to 3" before moving it, so you should be good for a while

Kitara

Arachnodemon
In a 3 x 3 x 7 size enclosure you can let it molt up to 3" before moving it, so you should be good for a while
Mine is smaller. It is only 2.25x2.25x6. My baby is 1.5ish.

Thank you for the tips. That makes me feel better.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
You could house it in the next size up... unless it's in there now, then just leave it till 2 weeks after it's next molt
Oh yeah she's well established. She has molted 3-4 times in her current enclosure. There is a picture above. (I added it after I had posted.)