Arboreal Centipedes from Malaysia

AF Exotics

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Curious if anyone has any information on centipedes from Malaysia that are large and arboreal.Any information would be appreciated.

AF Exotics

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
and before you ask,Botar should have them around the first week of May.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So those are actually arboreal? How big do they get? Nice centipede though.

tarantulas.com

Arachnopeon
I saw that species in Malaysia. They seemed very common on dirt roads into the jungle, and through the palm plantations.

AF Exotics

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Never really noticed these anywhere while I was there,although I did see the largest and most millipedes and true spiders I have ever seen.I was there for geckos though,so inverts weren't really on the target list.My friend is telling me that these are mostly arboreal in nature.

tarantulas.com

Arachnopeon
The only times we saw those pedes was at night, on dirt roads and paths. They seemed to be cruising on or along the embankments by the side of the roads. I didn't ever see them in the trees, but that's not to say they're not arboreal.

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
isn't it a "house centipede?" it lives in korea indeed. we can see them at any houses.

actually it's not a native species. but moved here from overseas people together in the past.

it lives on trees?

-locke

Here is something different.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It does look a lot like the North American house centipedes. These are supposed to be quite a bit larger and they are catching them under slabs of bark that is peeling away from the trees. They are apparently very fast... add that to "tree dwelling" and I doubt there will be many coming in at any given time. I'm just anxious to see them.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well you can bet I'll be sending one to Randy May right away for pictures. I've also got some of the giant orb weavers coming in as well... neat little project for Randy. He seems to thrive on challenges.

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If they are larger that would be very cool. I've kept the house centipedes and watched them eat under magnification, and boy are they pretty formidable looking beasts. A larger species would be pretty awesome in my book.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
scutigeramorpha are the weirdos of the centipede world

all other orders have a pair of spiracles mounted on the sides of each bodysegment... scutis have a single spiracle mounted dorsally

all other orders of centipedes (that are non-blind) have 1 or more simple eyes (ocelli) on each side of their head.... scuties have a compound eye mounted on their head

it is theorized that these are sort of the "anti-burrowing" centipedes due to their greatly elongated legs and spiracle mount points

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, they land tomorrow(along with the giant orb weavers), so we'll find out soon enough. I'm anxious to see how well they hold up to shipping too.

Botar

gunks

Arachnopeon
Not to get off the threads subject,

But arnt those giant orb weavers the spiders that have been known to catch and eat birds in their webs?