Aranae sense of smell, and other tidbits

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Pest infestation: Dust mites, red spider mites and another unidentified mite.
Test location: A carport of a house in a recovering second growth rain forest.

The ceiling of our carport accumulates mites until the entire area is covered in webbing 1/2 inch thick in about a 3 month period of time. The entire ceiling was vacuumed clear of mites and webbing then observed. After 1 week, 2 patches of mites were present. After 1 month, 7 patches with webbing covering about 4 square feet were evident.

The test: The ceiling was again vacuumed clean of mites and webbing. A solution of 1 ounce of citronella, 1 ounce of eucalyptol, and 1 ounce of dish washing liquid (as an emulsifier) in one half liter of water was sprayed over half the area leaving the other half as a control. Mite return was as before in the control. No mites have returned in the sprayed area and no mite presence is noted within 12 inches of the sprayed surface.

In addition, there are no salticids or sparassids to be found anywhere near the carport area though they were very common before the spraying.

I recall a study made of latrodectus where olfactory like cells were found in the front leg joints. I suspect most aranae have similar olfactory abilities. It is quite obvious the mites have sensed the combined chemicals.

While I am making odd random noises, a few helpful hints:

DEADLY -CONTACT- INSECTICIDE:
2 to 3 ounces of dish washing soap in a liter of water. This will kill almost any invertebrate it is sprayed on. Ants are especially vulnerable. Ticks, fleas and mites are moderately to extremely susceptible. Soapy water on a cotton swab dabbed on the body is an excellent way of removing ticks.

Technical: Most invertebrates respirate through ducts in their thorax or abdomen. Adding a surfactant to water makes it wet enough to coat the animals body and restrict respiration. Death usually occurs in a few seconds. Water by itself isn't very wet so a surfactant is required. How much soap depends on what kind you use and how hard the water is. Also, choosing a soap that won't damage or discolor the surfaces is a good idea.

TICK REMOVAL: ALWAYS burn the body of the tick. Most ticks can carry offspring or eggs that can reinfest the location or animal.

POWERFUL HERBICIDE:
As with the insecticide, add a few ounces of dish washing or other soap to a gallon of water. Add 1/2 pound of Sodium Carbonate, AKA washing soda or soda ash. (NA2CO3). Adjust the amount of surfactant (soap) depending on effectiveness on plants in your area. Spray liberally on the foliage of unwanted plants.

Technical: Washing soda is a relatively strong base. If it is wet enough with the correct proportion of surfactant it will be readily absorbed into the plant, chemically burning the plant up. This can, under the right circumstances, even destroy the roots of the plant.

Precaution: NA2CO3 is a relatively strong alkali. Avoid getting it in your eyes or lungs. or on sensitive areas of skin. Not considered a significant toxin, it readily breaks down in the environment over time providing repeated applications aren't sufficient to create residual deposits or 'pans'. Extra precaution: This stuff is deadly to roses and other acid loving plants. Use with care around them.

While weird science, isn't this better than spraying deadly chemicals about in your environment? Also, be especially aware, almost any pesticide that is residual, kills for a period of time after the spraying, has a tendency to accumulate in fatty tissues in your body.

The Snark

Old Timer
Help?

I am suffering a life long disability from exposure to petro-chemicals. I am always looking for alternatives to the toxins our modern way of life foists upon us. The strongest piece of advice I can give anybody in regards to using chemical poisons is, ALWAYS keep in mind, there is NO pesticide or herbicide that is tested for lifetime exposure.
Don't be fooled into a false sense of security just because you have followed the directions on that can of bug spray or garden herbicide.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If they're not tested for lifetime exposure, how do you know your disability is the result of one?

The Snark

Old Timer
If they're not tested for lifetime exposure, how do you know your disability is the result of one?
No chemical can be tested for the average life expectancy. Thus our firendly chemical companies skate by with the word 'reasonable'. As in, safe until proven otherwise after 'reasonable tests are made. Very often, those tests are created by the very same chemical companies. These companies are also past masters at obfuscation and avoiding regulations. The chemical companies are out to make a profit regardless of long term health effects. Be responsible for your own body and approach any chemical with a healthy dose of skepticism.

In my case, the accumulated lead still present in my bones was easy to diagnose.

Last edited: