Arachnophobia?

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well..... It happend about a day ago*Flash back music plays in back round*. I went ot get my dog food from outside... I walked out barefoot.. And I see the biggest wolf spider jump at me. I screamed like a little girl:8o(LMAO! Its funny now.) ( No offence to any women out there) I have a case of Arachnophobia? is this true? I am not scared of them, just alarmed by them... I was always getting bit by wolf spiders when I was a little boy( I was asleep though, and i would always wake up with theses bumps on my arms:() I am better with bigger things... I dont know why.. I dont like small things... I dont like anything small.. I prefer things big like a T. Them I can see what they are doing better. A can see if there cleaning there fangs, or something(Hope you get my point:))
Well, just thought id share this with random people I dont know over the internet;) :p

Later y'all,

Hampton

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
For some reason bigger is better for fear at least..... First time I held a T I was morbidly afraid of spiders, but somehow the T was more like holding a mouse or something. Can't explain it. I dont really like to handle T s but I love to watch them........

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's ok Hampton and normal I think.
Several people here have expressed that your average run of the mill creeepy little spider gives them the heebie jeebies.
My older sister passes out at the sight of anything with eight legs.
I might have helped that along by putting several hundred over the years in her underwear drawer when we were younger. But she was afraid of them long before that...
But she was a hateful, cruel nasty B**ch so I have no remorse.
Wasps terrify me.
I'm HIGHLY alergic to them, so a sting means a trip to the hosptial, usualy by the time I am there I'm out cold and deep into anaphylaxis.
Not pretty...
Everyone has their phobias, fears and "erks".
Nothing to be embarassed about.
If I had, had a wolf spider hop at me I would have screamed like a girl and hopped back too.
Those things can be nasty and I've had my run ins of them.

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bee hatred

Originally posted by Nixy
Wasps terrify me.

Lets all take a moment and think of our true hatred of bees. Argressive little animals with a life span of 2 or less weeks. Their sting is not that venomous (at least to most) But they kill more people each year than sharks and tarantulas combined! They luagh at us from their hive cluster swarming anything that dare move. Why my friends uncle had a pet crow whom some kids were teaching to fly. The Bird mistakenly flew near a wasp hive and within minutes, was dead. They repeatedly stung his dead carcase for the next several hours............ They find it amusing to establish a economy underground (where all ground life lives) and yet expect all to follow their commandments. I feel we should drop nests of bees on the iraqies instaed of missles. They diserve it. As just recently we found that car bomb outside the marriot Hotel.

I hate bees.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't hate bees, I refuse to kill them, but I am hands down more phobic of bees than any other bug I may encounter. Getting stung hurts like crazy....that's why! ;)

As a kid, I was very afraid of spiders too. In my mom's eyes, every spider she saw was a "black widow" (or equally "deadly" spider). I suppose she instilled that fear in me when I was little. To make it worse, my older sister picked up on that and would capitolize on the issue by chasing me with daddy long legs...or any other spider she would find. :)mad: )
Obviously my fear/fascination led to my interest in and eventually keeping spiders. After reading and learning so much about T's and all, they just became something entirely different in my eyes. Basically, (corny as it sounds) just gaining a better understanding of spiders killed my fears completely.

Atrax

Maggie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, i think a wolf spider jumping out at anyone might cause a nervous reaction!
I used to have BAD arachnophobia. In fact, the reason i got my first T's was in hopes that i could de-sensitize that fear. LOL, it worked...just not in the way i thought it would!:D
The little house spiders dont bother me much, there is a little black one that lives in our bathroom. But there are these brown kind of slimy looking ones that can still make me shudder a bit.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not afraid of bees, just wasps.
When I was nine I was in a field and steped in a chuck hole. Only to find it was a yellow jackets nest.
A rock shifted and I was stuck in it up to my knee a few hours before I was descovered.
Spent alot of time in the hospital.
Thousands of stings and since wasps can bite, thousands of little divots of meat chewed from me in every conceviable location.
And I came away form that with a Massive alaergy to them, and a lowered resistance to most other stings and bites.

It took me a LONG time to get past total paralysis at the sight of a wasp, and total freaked out panic at one Near me..

Now they can just kill me.
But not take my pride.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I can't say that I've ever been afraid of Spiders on the whole. Perhaps those tiny, tarantula looking, terrestrial funnel web spiders but not your common garden variety spider.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Never been afraid of any insect or spider, used to have quite the invertebrate zoo going when I was about six years-old. My mother did succeed in instilling a pretty deep willy-hatred of roaches, but I daresay the past 9 months of raising feeders in the closet has put the kibosh on even that widespread societal hang-up.

As such, while I know intellectually that many people have this fear, I've never been able to emotionally connect regarding it.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Only little red mites scare me. Those things look so ugly and the color throws me off. I don't eek in terror though, I just move.

Bill

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
Never been afraid of any insect or spider, used to have quite the invertebrate zoo going when I was about six years-old. My mother did succeed in instilling a pretty deep willy-hatred of roaches, but I daresay the past 9 months of raising feeders in the closet has put the kibosh on even that widespread societal hang-up.

As such, while I know intellectually that many people have this fear, I've never been able to emotionally connect regarding it.
I always loved catching bugs as well when I was a child. My faves were pillbugs. One minute they's be crawling around and the moment you touched them they's crawl into a little ball. I guess I was and still am a tomboy to some degree.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've never been stung.

*knocks on wooden desk 3 times*

Honey Bees don't bother me, but Bumble bees, Wasps, and hornets do. I really hate wasps. They just look evil.

@Nixy: Do you keep an Epipen in case you get stung?

Jon

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I get alarmed when they dive at me, i dont think thats arachnopphobia is it? :p

I remember when my brother got bitten by a centipede when we were about 5, (we're twins) since then ive always wanted one

kinda the opposite to arachnophobia :p

(its 8:30am so i apologise for grammar etc)

that thing aboutt eh wasps killing the crow was immense! I've seen a sparrow go down in the same way...

oh yeah, whilst on the wasp thing, we had a nest underground in our garden, so for some idiotic reason my mum put a lawn mower over ti and turned it on :< every wasp was sucked out and then died 'braindead' style; hacked up by the blades

Last edited:

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i dont see how people can act stupid around bees or wasps though, i dont see what all the fuss is about, my mums allergic, but she has the right idea, she doesnt run around screaming and swatting at them, only to make them determined to sting. People who do that are after the attention only, and it serves them right to be stung. Repeatedly.
And whoever said we should drop bees on the iraqis you cruel <edit>. Don't forget that most bees die after they sting, what have they ever done to you. What you should have said is 'we should drop acid on them, and let the <edit> burn!'

asterisks don't count -MI

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bees

Originally posted by Nixy
I'm not afraid of bees, just wasps.
When I was nine I was in a field and steped in a chuck hole. Only to find it was a yellow jackets nest.
A rock shifted and I was stuck in it up to my knee a few hours before I was descovered.
Spent alot of time in the hospital.
Thousands of stings and since wasps can bite, thousands of little divots of meat chewed from me in every conceviable location.
And I came away form that with a Massive alaergy to them, and a lowered resistance to most other stings and bites.

It took me a LONG time to get past total paralysis at the sight of a wasp, and total freaked out panic at one Near me..

Now they can just kill me.
But not take my pride.
Yes, I can relate. Here goes.

At the time I was about 9 years old and at a school runnring track who's land included a fenced in swamp pond thing. The fence had been cut in an area ( by vandals ) and I went inside. I went 3/4 around the pond through pricker bushes and weeds to reach a wall of thorns. I felt shap stings on my foot and look down to see my foot engulfed in yellow jackets. As I had gotten there slowly trying to avoid being cut by the thorn bushes, It would become torture. My foot had caved in a hive wich seemed to have thousands of yellow jackets in it. Bees Swarmed my head and body violently stinging me in every concivable place. I had to Run as fast as I could through the thorn bushes as I kept getting stung. I Emerged screaming with swolen ears and no shoes as they had been lost during running. My only pair of shoes gone partly because each foot had 18 stings on them. Every Concivable place? Yes, they did go up my pants:rolleyes: :mad: I am not alergic but the stings hurt like hell. Bees are also overagressive and attack anything. Now you know why it is my purpose on earth to make sure these creatures suffer.

Ps, I didn't mean that " Drop bees on Iraq" Thing. But it is kinda funny they are both suicide bombers.

indigoeyes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
flying bugs and tiny spiders

I am also deathly alergic to wasps and bees. I swell up and stop breathing. Full Anaflactic shock. But I'm also terrified of "house spiders." I was bit by a widow when I was eight, and have been arachnophobic ever since. My G. Rosea was my main step to overcoming that. I held a Rosea on Valentines day at the Butterfly Pavilion and decided they weren't really like spiders at all. "Rosey" her name was; she was super docile and reminded me of a small mammal. I decided T's were alright and decided I needed to own one. (Which is quikly growing into the double digits...:D ) But "house spiders" still scare the hell out of me.

Go figure:?

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I majorly fear roaches....

I'm cool with hissers but I guess that's 'cause they don't have wings. Just knowing that a huge roach can fly at me anytime from anywhere in the room makes me have to flee as fast as I can. I'm cool around bees and wasps and other flying insects (unless a butterfly is so big you can see it probiscis, ewwwwwwww) and roaches don't even bite or sting:? .

Just know that as I write this I am constantly looking over my shoulder.