Arachnophobia?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Remaining calm and composed is one of the most important aspects of working with tarantulas. If you are overly stressed and nervous you will be much more likely to make mistakes.

This hobby isn't for everyone and there's no shame in that. I don't know why you would acquire so many old world Ts if you feel this way... one step at a time.

Exoticas

Arachnopeon
I'm mostly afraid of them OVERALL. Their quickness and jumpscares are the most terrifying

Exoticas

Arachnopeon
@Nightstalker47 My fear has nothing to do with the region that T's come from. Well i guess, nobody will truly understand me... Btw saying one step at a time isn't right for me is it, since i've been in this hobby for quite some time?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
How do you thing i am transfering T's if i am even afraid to keep the lid open for more than 5 seconds? It is very stressful for me to transfer them, way more stressful than it is to spiders. Like, this is the issue for me and i really want to overcome this, just dunno how.
Frankly I don't know what to say after reading this, man.

One thing is to be 'en garde' always. Ok. To avoid risks and unnecessary risks. Ok. At the end what works better for you. Ok.

But if you really are so much deeply scared to the point that even re-housing your spiders (a pretty normal part of the arachnids keeping, eh) is asking to yourself too much... sorry but you need to rethink everything at a whole 360° level: T's keeping is supposed to be something involving calm, enjoyment, 'easy' to care for animals.

Not stress, fear, anxiety.

Exoticas

Arachnopeon
Okey I think we should just close this discussion, since it kind of became a hateful thing towards me.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
@Nightstalker47 My fear has nothing to do with the region that T's come from. Well i guess, nobody will truly understand me... Btw saying one step at a time isn't right for me is it, since i've been in this hobby for quite some time?
I think you have arachnophobia and I am surprised that you have enjoyed having them this long. While I still have fears on maintenance for fast active OW T's (don't own any yet), I can leave the deli cup lid open with a Psalmopoeus pulcher not more than five or six inches from my hand (if my hand is not in the cup). This is because I have learned how my tarantula acts. Yes it could do something completely out of nature and nail me. But I am not scared of that because I feel calm in my motions and feel like it won't be me that creates the incident.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Okey I think we should just close this discussion, since it kind of became a hateful thing towards me.
I don't think it's becoming hateful towards you mate, I think you just want to hold on to your hobby too much, and you aren't seeing that your fear of these spiders is inhibiting you from caring for them properly (rehousing them is integral) so like, yeah. This might just not be the hobby for you.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
'hateful' you say? I don't think, man. Not at all.

And you need to consider that I (don't know about others) can't jump into someone's mind and change things.

Only you can overcome your fear/s.

IMO? Sorry if I found a bit strange to have 30+ T's while being afraid (and nothing bad with fear per se, don't get me wrong) of rehousing those.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
Hmmm, not sure if what you're describing is fear. To me, fear is when the person can't even be in the same room as an enclosed tarantula. Sounds more like you have apprehension towards your collection to the point of stress, not fear.

I'm still jumpy when doing maintenance or rehouses with certain Ts of mine too, and find it very impressive that people remain so calm dealing with much more advanced species. But you can't begin to manage a problem without first realizing you have one, and at least we're both there :)

Exoticas

Arachnopeon
I just love these animals way too much. Even tho I might have arachnophobia, but I'd rather try to get rid of my panick or risk to get bit, but I won't even consider qutting as a possibility.

Exoticas

Arachnopeon
@Haemus Finally someone, who gets me haha. In fact, T's are all around me as we're on this discussion right now, have at least 8 of them on my table :D

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I just love these animals way too much. Even tho I might have arachnophobia, but I'd rather try to get rid of my panick or risk to get bit, but I won't even consider qutting as a possibility.
But you've had the spiders for years yet they still stress you out a ton. That's an issue.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Keep in mind that there are different levels of arachnophobia. Only you can judge if it keeps you from taking care of them properly. If you enjoy them and do get feeding, maintenance, etc. accomplished to give the tarantula what you view as a good life then you are fine.

Exoticas

Arachnopeon
Yes thats an issue, thats why I've created this thread in the first place.

Exoticas

Arachnopeon
Well or I just don't. I might just leave it as it is since I can care for them well, I just need to put more work into it than other people. I am just way too jumpy at the ,jumpscares', but I guess I'll somehow manage.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yes thats an issue, thats why I've created this thread in the first place.
No one actually (IMO) can help you on that issue. We can help about everything else, but not when it comes to that.

(Example) It's like driving: the driving license is not enough, you need to continue to practice until you can drive the right way. Confidence :-s

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Here is some advice.
If I was in your shoes and absolutely wanted to continue to own tarantulas I would trade out the OW's for NW docile species. This would hopefully give you a feeling that you know the tarantula is not likely to climb out of the container. It is not likely to try to bite as long as you don't stick your finger next to it. And it is likely to not hurt so much if it does bite. Then you should revisit your feelings on your fear.

Exoticas

Arachnopeon
It's not like i wanted for you to do something to cure me or something I just wanted some tips on how i could improve.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's not like i wanted for you to do something to cure me or something I just wanted some tips on how i could improve.
I know, no one wants to turn into a sort of virtual 'brain Doc' :-s

just that I have reasons to believe that what perfectly works for me (my tips) wouldn't work for you, according to what you said. Anyway @Jeff23 on post #38 given you a wise advice.