Arachnophobia?

Exoticas

Arachnopeon
So i have this weird thing and I'm not sure how to deal with it. I've been keeping T's for quite some time now (7 years to be exact). I am very impressed when people feed them while their enclosure is fully open or handle them or etc. I cannot do that, I am afraid of it escaping. When ever T starts moving a bit faster than usuall I am going into a full pussy state and just close its enclosure. I wouldn't say that this is arachnophobia since I have over 30 T's at this point and most of them are oldworlds and I know heck of a lot about them, I feel really satisfied while watching them web, roam, groom and etc, but when ever i am in a contact with them (when their enclosure is open) Its like a must do thing for me to close that as soon as possible. Even when i feed them I put in the food and close the enclosure immediatly. I am really angry with myself for being like that, but i don't know how to over come this. Anyone could give any ideas?

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The way I see it, it's good to be careful. I sometimes wonder if I'm too comfortable, especially with OW tarantulas.

creepa

Arachnoknight
@petkokc is this the guy from your q&a??
@Exoticas are you are you??

This doesent sound to me as arachnophobia more like being afraid of the unexpected...
Dont get me wrong i mean no disrespect but are you a easily scared person in general?

Exoticas

Arachnopeon
@creepa Yes, it's me alright haha, just wanted more opinions. No I am not scared easily in general. So guys i know i respect them a lot, but is there a way to get more confident?
I feel like being afraid of brachypelmas running around is straight up stupid (since i keep not OW only).

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Do what's best for you, it's always wise to remain en garde. Even if, IMO, full settled T's (if respected, of course) doesn't exactly feel the needs for jump out only because the top is off, uh.

I remove entirely always the top/door (in the case of arboreals) because I want to do feeding and, more important, maintenance in a comfortable way and I can't take out a water dish from a (example) KK little lid.

Even with my S.subspinipes of course :-s

Exoticas

Arachnopeon
Exactly, I want to do what is best for me and i feel like being overprotective (if thats the right word) is not what is best for me.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Sounds to me like nothing more than common sense. People who leave the lids off like that and seem to be care free are the same ones that post a thread titled "help my OBT escaped).

Not saying every escape is caused by this but I bet you a great deal are cause by this or handling or some other easily preventable cause.

sasker

Arachnoprince
@petkokc is this the guy from your q&a??
@Exoticas are you are you??
I was wondering the same thing LOL! Seems like The Dark Den has many followers :)

Back on topic: when I first started keeping Ts I had the same problem. Keeping them in somewhat larger containers with a bit more space to work around them if necessary helped me to gain more confidence. I am not suggesting that you should rehouse all your Ts or anything, but perhaps you can pick one more 'docile' NW terrestrial to get a little bit more acquainted with in this way?

Exoticas

Arachnopeon
I have some NW terrestrials but they didn't help me :/ Maybe i should give them bigger enclosures after all.

sasker

Arachnoprince
You have tarantulas for over 7 years, so obviously you have observed them and know how they respond to movement (usually they jump at anything that moves). I think understanding the reason why do the things they do is half of the solution to your 'problem'. If they jump at your tongs or paintbrush as a feeding response they usually let go and flee as soon as they realize it isn't food. After that, they stay away from any maintenance you do if the enclosure is big enough for them to move out of your way. I hope this helps. Success!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
umm, that sounds stressful.. maybe pursue a different hobby? i cant imagine being paranoid when feeding my collection.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
So i have this weird thing and I'm not sure how to deal with it. I've been keeping T's for quite some time now (7 years to be exact). I am very impressed when people feed them while their enclosure is fully open or handle them or etc. I cannot do that, I am afraid of it escaping. When ever T starts moving a bit faster than usuall I am going into a full pussy state and just close its enclosure. I wouldn't say that this is arachnophobia since I have over 30 T's at this point and most of them are oldworlds and I know heck of a lot about them, I feel really satisfied while watching them web, roam, groom and etc, but when ever i am in a contact with them (when their enclosure is open) Its like a must do thing for me to close that as soon as possible. Even when i feed them I put in the food and close the enclosure immediatly. I am really angry with myself for being like that, but i don't know how to over come this. Anyone could give any ideas?
I'm a little bit like that , your not the only one .

Exoticas

Arachnopeon
I refuse to quit my hobby for a lame reason like that. I love T's in everyway and my panick has nothing to do with my love of the hobby.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Fear is okay. The key is "Who is in control?" If you are in control, all is fine.

It is like someone who approaches a cliff by a canyon. If the legs are like rubber there is a problem. If you can respect the risk and keep safe you are in control.

Of course in this case you must also keep the T safe as well.

Exoticas

Arachnopeon
You guys tell me that it is okey, but consider this. How do you thing i am transfering T's if i am even afraid to keep the lid open for more than 5 seconds? It is very stressful for me to transfer them, way more stressful than it is to spiders. Like, this is the issue for me and i really want to overcome this, just dunno how.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
You guys tell me that it is okey, but consider this. How do you thing i am transfering T's if i am even afraid to keep the lid open for more than 5 seconds? It is very stressful for me to transfer them, way more stressful than it is to spiders. Like, this is the issue for me and i really want to overcome this, just dunno how.
I am still confused on one thing. Are you only scared of OW and not NW?