• The Review forums are closed to new reviews.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews.

Information on how to use our new Reviews section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Arachnomania: The general care & maintenance of tarantulas & scorpion - de Vosjoli, P

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Arachnomania - de Vosjoli, P

Neutral

This is a good book, from a historical point of view. Brought out in 1991, it shows what methods were believed to be correct at the time. Of course there are more recent books with far more accurate information, so this book needs to be treated as a sign of the times, so to speak.

Cheers,
Steve

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Arachnomania by Philiippe de Vosjoli

Positive.

This book covers tarantulas and scorpions.

Tarantulas:

This book gives a good beginner overview including basic anatomy, setups, handleing and some of the more common species of T's. However, (and I'm not sure this book is still in print) it was published in 1991. Some of the scientific names are wrong, due to taxonmony revisions. There are some interested ideas for artifical burrows like using floral foam. However, I have no idea how much of the general care information is out of date.

Scorpions:
As with the tarantula section it gives a good basic run down on care, breeding, sexing (includes photos), anatomy, feeding and caging set ups.

Overall, I own another book by Vosjoli on a different subject and I would be inclined to buy books written by him. The problem with this book is that some of the information is out of date. I just don't know how much. I don't know what people think of using floral foam as an artificial hide these days. Other than the taxonomy issues, everything else that I know if (and I'm a relative newbie to this hobby) is accurate and very useful.

This is by no means a "bible" to keeping T's or scorps, but it is probably the best beginner book I have seen.

Edit: Thanks to the mods for moving this I didn't see the first review when I was looking through the reviews for some reason.

Last edited:

dangerprone69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Positive

This was published in 1991, so it's very dated now. I bought this in 1993 when I bought my first T and this book provided me with a wealth of info. Many scientific names have been changed, and there are many more species of T's available now. I'd recommend it for beginners, but now you can find much more up-to-date info on the web.

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Same here... I love the series of books...they were some of the best around "during their time"... I used to push the series alot to customers while working in pet stores...many of the othe books on the market by TFH and othe misc companies were horrible... this series was awsome....

PK952

Arachnopeon
This was my first tarantula book, bought along with my first tarantula. I would have to say this book is rather dated, I cannot part with it though. For me, this book gave me the general understanding of what it took to care for my new little gal, as well as really sparked my interest in expanding into the hobby. My copy shows the signs of wear of a book read through many times, at the time it was a great reference tool for me. Overall though, for current times, there are many books out there that would make better choices for a care guide.