• The Review forums are closed to new reviews.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews.

Information on how to use our new Reviews section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Aquatic Environments (Davenport, Iowa)

PK952

Arachnopeon
I would like to invite anyone from the Quad Cities area of Iowa and Illinois to take the time to check out Aquatic Environments in Davenport, Iowa. Mainly an aquarium store specializing in saltwater livestock, they do have an amazing selection of tarantulas and reptiles as well. Their animals always appear to be healthy, happy and are always found to be spotlessly clean. The staff is friendly, very helpful and more than anything, these guys really know their stuff. They may not always have a great selection of tarantulas on hand, but they usually always have some common and a few not so common species available and they are always willing to special order in anything you are looking for. These guys do truly care for their animals and it shows. Well worth a look!

SuddenFan

Arachnopeon
Wow weird, I'm from the QCA! (quad cities area)

Anyway, I've gotten the opposite expression of them.

They do fish, reptiles, and amphibians well, but not tarantulas. (actually they do saltwater VERY well)

I've been there three times since I started getting into T's, and all three times I giggled as I left the place! :8o Let me explain.

The first time I went there was some confusion as to whether one of the T's was a B Smithi or B Emelia, they basically just looked it up in a species books and guessed. The guy said it was B Smithi and yet they labeled it Mexican Redleg, so who knows. (it was probably a B Emelia) I don't fault them for this though really, both species do look alike.

But, that day the cages were pumped full of crickets as well, we're talking a good ten per tiny critter keeper!? :embarrassed: (lots of dead cricks too, when I was there)

Also, they also use water crystals for their T's.

But what really made me give up on them was what I saw the last time I went there!

So I went in to check them out again, and was surprised to see a dead Red Slate Ornamental in its water dish! Not surprisingly there was also a dead emperor scorpion sharing the same fate in his water dish not to far from there! Man oh man those guys use some BAD water dishes. They're basically tiny yet very DEEP small mammal dishes. I was watching the Ts and one was trying desperately to get to his water but he couldn't! :wall::clap:

I plan on going back to see if they've improved, but I doubt it. If there's a worker from there who reads this, your store needs to take better care of your Ts.

In closing, I would recommend going there to see for yourself, maybe they just had an inexperienced person caring for them those times. I will give them the benefit of the doubt since they keep their fish so well.

Last edited:

SuddenFan

Arachnopeon
Update:

I'm changing my general review from poor to average, they care for their Ts well enough for a LPS. You can't really expect too much, and they do have an okay selection.

The staff could be a bit more knowledgeable and friendly, and they could try to learn the more common latin names.

They still have dumb drinking bowls and use crystals though, but meh, they aren't permanent enclosures so the T's can take it until they're sold.

;P