aquarium silicone

wayneo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hello all,

Tommorrow(actually today), I plan on siliconing a piece of cork bark in my new A. avics cage and I was wondering how long i should wait to reintoduce it back to the cage. Or should I use another technique to keep the cork bark up if so how?

Thanks Wayne H

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
do what I did on one of mine, take the cork, figure out where its going to be hitting the glass, hotglue a small 1/2" suction cup to the bark, this way nothing gets ruined, no harmful fumes lingering, etc etc.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was also going to suggest hot glue, but the suction cup idea is an interesting twist, I like it.

With hot glue, there are no fumes, and you only have to wait for it to cool, a matter of minutes usually.

With sillicone, I'd wait until the smeell is COMPLETELY gone. This may take a week or more.

For my aboreals, I usually just lean pieces of cork bark in a corner, no glue. If you lean two on top of each other so that they form a space in between, the spider will hopefully select that as it's retreat.

Wade

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by wayneo
hello all,

Tommorrow(actually today), I plan on siliconing a piece of cork bark in my new A. avics cage and I was wondering how long i should wait to reintoduce it back to the cage. Or should I use another technique to keep the cork bark up if so how?

Thanks Wayne H
I have a ten gallon "hex" aquarium that I siliconed (with aquarium silicone) slabs of cork bark onto the back three panels, it took at least a week before the silicone cured and the smell was gone. I also positioned a fan so that it blew into the aquarium to disperse the fumes. I did not consider hot glue because the backs of the cork bark were not flat and silicone would hold better. BTW, a h. maculata lives in this setup.
Ed

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Silicone

Hi:)

As said above I think one should wait for the silicone to air out on the other hand when I built my cage now for my P.regalis I used the idea in Schultz book and he writes about how to silicone a piece of bark to side of the tank.

Another approach:
Since I've built a couple of my own fishtanks for my Discus breeding there is a special silicone that one has to use when fitting the glass together so no toxics are diluted into the water after some time.

Kenny

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
A quick word of advice. Wash and Dry the area you want to glue to before you do. My P. regalis last nite had it's cork fall down, glue attached to it still, when it's been up for about 2 months now.No injury, but I really don't feel like pulling it and all the webbing attached up and driving the guy nuts.

BIll