Aquarium of the Pacific- Long Beach, CA

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I went to the Aquarium of the Pacific last week, and took a lot of photos. Problem is, I was so busy running around with my camera, that I didn't even pay attention to what I was photographing! For those of you who know fish, I'd appreciate some IDs so that I can label the photos accordingly. Please help me so I can replace my silly labels!

A jellyfish:

fishies:

more jellyfish (different from the first one):

A starfish and something cool looking (as you can probably tell by now, I know very little about marine life):

Urchins?:

The only one here that I can ID is the foxface rabbitfish:

Coral, and a pretty blue/orange spotty fish:

And lastly, a lionfish:
[/img]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_LdhK4CHuZt0/SzmnnqabXPI/AAAAAAAADjI/3-fGqoVCDhc/IMG_1136.JPG[/img]

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the first fish pic looks like red tailed surf perch

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And in the second last picture, the five silvery fish are Monodactylus argenteus, monos or fingerfish. You often see the young at pet stores in brackish water tanks.

Smitty78

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And in the second last picture, the five silvery fish are Monodactylus argenteus, monos or fingerfish. You often see the young at pet stores in brackish water tanks.
Agreed. You typically see them kept this way. They however are best kept in full salt water conditions.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sweet pics. I've never had the pleasure of visiting that aquarium, but my friend's dad runs the place. She just graduated the same time as me and is basically following in his footsteps.

L. forringer

Arachnopeon
In there with the foxface is some sort of banner fish I think, and in the next one is an orange spotted filefish. Thats all I got, love the jellyfish shots though, I wish I wasn't so land locked here.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It is a neat aquarium and definetly worth seeing though can't compete against Monterey Bay Aquarium in exhibit quality IMO(real kelp vs lots of artificials used at AoP). They also had when I went their a few small frog exhibits that could definetly use some worK as far as decor etc. goes. That being said, they are an aquarium, not a frog room haha. However AP definetly has a huge diversity represented. I loved the outdoor pools with the assorted sharks/rays and the diving birds exhibit.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i like looking at the fish at the mba but i don't particularly care for the packard foundation and what it's been doing to my living here in the monterey bay. i went to the california academy of sciences a few weeks back though and was much more impressed with the displays there. the fish appeared much healthier that at the mba.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
haven't visited since elementray schol(I'm 19 so that'd be before the revamp)...and if it is anything like it was last time it is superb. I can still vividly remember many of the exhibits. Of particular interest to me was a 7 ft or so(looked huge to a kid) WDB who was clearly not impressed with his enclosure and had 2/3rds his length up the front glass...gars, electric eel, lungfish...SW brineshrimp randomly swimming in FW tanks...poison dart frogs that looked like the same plastic toys in my drawer...(could well be a good part of why I am so interested in fish/herps in the first place!)