Approximately what size does does a Lasiodora parahybana get his hooks and bulbs?

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
Ugh, I feel like I should know this by now. My most educated guess is around 7". Mine is 6" now and in premolt, I suspect he will molt in 2-4 weeks and put on a half inch as usual.
I was planning on just riding it out and not asking, but I'm starting to fret a little about how much time I have left to enjoy his presence. Any insight or personal experience is greatly appreciated.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
That's not easy to say because they hook out when they are mature, not when they hit size X.

Mine might only grow to 7 inches, but the next guy's might only hit 6.5 inches, yours might reach 8...

Same reason age isn't a clear cut indicator, maybe just enjoy all the time you have with them and wait and see. You could fret now then they end up living another 2 years and you got worried for no reason

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
Yeah, an example of this is that my N.chromatus matured at 4 inches, while a friend's chromatus matured at 6. So its just the luck of the roll i guess

Crazyarachnoguy

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
Every species has x amount of molts before it matures. For example one species may take 37 molts before maturity, and the next species may be 16 molts. The number of molts to maturity for a particular species will never change, but size will. So nobody can answer your question. Could be 4”, could be 7”, several diffierent factors play a roll in size.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Every species has x amount of molts before it matures. For example one species may take 37 molts before maturity, and the next species may be 16 molts. The number of molts to maturity for a particular species will never change, but size will. So nobody can answer your question. Could be 4”, could be 7”, several diffierent factors play a roll in size.
I always thought that and would agree however I have sac mates that have matured a few molts ahead of others.

Crazyarachnoguy

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
I always thought that and would agree however I have sac mates that have matured a few molts ahead of others.
Maybe the molt was destroyed by the t? I think it’s extremely hard to keep track of every molt. Especially starting from first instar to adult. I know this is a fact and not just a theory though, I wish I had some evidence to provide but I do not.

Last edited:

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Maybe the molt was destroyed by the t?
No. Impossible. Not hard at all to track. From what I’ve researched on here there’s reports of males maturity may vary by 2-3 molts for some species of males.

I have 2 male P. rufilata. 3 females. All molt on the same schedule within a few days and are tracked on paper. One matured small at 5” max and another male is still growing. I expected him to mature but has gone another cycle. If he matures he will be one molt off and estimate him being 6.5” mature

Last edited:

Crazyarachnoguy

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
No. Impossible. Not hard at all to track. From what I’ve researched on here there’s reports of males maturity may vary by 2-3 molts for some species of males.

I have 2 male P. rufilata. 3 females. All molt on the same schedule within a few days and are tracked on paper. One matured small at 5” max and another male is still growing. I expected him to mature but has gone another cycle. If he matures he will be one molt off and estimate him being 6.5” mature
Ah okay, I’ve never heard of this before but anything is possible. I think it’s allot easier said than done tho, otherwise we would have molt counts for every species.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Ah okay, I’ve never heard of this before but anything is possible. I think it’s allot easier said than done tho, otherwise we would have molt counts for every species.
If you run a search there’s information you can find on the subject. I believe there’s some scientific paper done showing it’s variable as well. All it takes is one time for a variable to show and that tells you it’s not a set number of molts. Nature isn’t extremely rigid.

Molt record keeping is extremely easy and fun. It doesn’t take a trained eye to tell your spider has molted and it doesn’t take much effort to write it down. I just have a massive endless list so there’s no looking up a specific spider or running out of space on one page. If a bodybuilder can track calories we can track molts.

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
Update, no need to answer the original question!

We're 2 days away from celebrating Hairy's 2 year Mature-iversary! He still eats every time we throw a cricket at him, climbs the glass, makes sperm webs, drinks water. He stopped trying to gnaw his way out about a year ago.

This picture doesn't show how scraggly he really looks, but it perfectly captures how beautiful he will always be to me.

20230813_102954.jpg

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
mine hooked out around 3 inches or smaller luckily i had a friend with a female looking for a male

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
I kept him because, while I knew I could find someone to take him, I figured the experience of seeing the end of the life cycle would be more more valuable in the long run. He is my first, and he's too special to get munched.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
its kinda sad to watch and know all that wandering around looking for something they will never find

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
its kinda sad to watch and know all that wandering around looking for something they will never find
It is a little, and every day I expect him to be a gonner, but he continues to surprise me. When my second tarantula hooked out I sold him as fast as possible, which wasn't too hard because plenty of people want to breed GBBs. The anticipated demand is a deciding factor now when picking species.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Not an Lp but my first T I got has passed a few days ago. It was a 6 inch MM Honduran T. albopilosus. It also molted a second time after maturing loosing it's left pedipalp in the process.

It molted into a MM on 10/2/2022. It then molted again on 4/7/2023 and passed roughly on 11/27 - 11/28/23.

My other MM is a 5 inch Nicaraguan T. albopilosus and it matured on 6/17/22 and still going. Some seem to go for awhile as others don't last as long.

My other MM was a A. chalcodes. He made it roughly 1.5 years. He would of still be alive if he didn't try molting again. He was completely encased in his molt, had to be euthanized.

One thing I can say is make sure you have one side of the enclosure good and moist if a MM decides to molt again. They really struggle with the molting process if they attempt it again.

I was a little upset. I think loosing the first T I started with had an impact.

Sorry not trying to hijack the OP on Lp's. Not sure why I chimed in.