Appropriate enclosure for slings

RocketPuppy97

Arachnopeon
Sooo I'm new to the hobby, I've kept roaches before but this is new to me.
I've ordered a Brachypelma vagans sling (around 1,5 - 2cm big) and I was wondering if the enclosure I set up is gonna be okay.
Please ignore the lack of ventilation holes, I set it up just to look if everything would fit for now.

IMG_20200331_202806.jpg

Attachments

Spaceman

Arachnoknight
The enclosure isn’t bad for the sling, that’s something I would put an OBT sling in personally but keepers usually suggest putting slings in smaller enclosures

The enclosure would be fine for it though

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
The enclosure looks fine, Id suggest more practical enclosure for future terrestrial slings (small Amac boxes) but it’ll do just fine.
Note: Brachyplema Vagans has been revised to a new genus ‘Tliltocatl’ (Tilt- O’ Cattle) along with multiple other former brachypelma. It’s now Tliltocatl Vagans, I’ve posted the new Tliltocatl ’portfolio’ on
this thread
https://arachnoboards.com/threads/name-revisions.331210/#post-3034009

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I would not put a spiderling of that size into an enclosure that large.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I dont see many issues with this setup, other than the thinner neck maybe making maintenance a little tricky. Other than that i reckon it should work fine.

Ive said it before and ill say it again, i dont think theres such thing as an enclosure thats "too big". More space = less rehousing. Im not saying to throw a 20mm sling in a 12×12×12" glass cubic or anything, but ample movement space in an enclosure means the T doesnt have to go through as many stressful rehouses in its lifetime. From sling to adulthood, most of my T's only live in 2 enclosures; the first one until they hit 110mm DLS, and then into a larger 300×300mm glass tank

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
I dont see many issues with this setup, other than the thinner neck maybe making maintenance a little tricky. Other than that i reckon it should work fine.

Ive said it before and ill say it again, i dont think theres such thing as an enclosure thats "too big". More space = less rehousing. Im not saying to throw a 20mm sling in a 12×12×12" glass cubic or anything, but ample movement space in an enclosure means the T doesnt have to go through as many stressful rehouses in its lifetime. From sling to adulthood, most of my T's only live in 2 enclosures; the first one until they hit 110mm DLS, and then into a larger 300×300mm glass tank
The small condiment cups are more practical, they take up less space(not all that important with the first few T’s but as a collection builds up the value becomes apparent), things are less likely to get knocked around in them, reducing the risk of an injured sling and they make live food easier to find.

Large sling enclosures aren’t all that problematic for the spider, who in the wild will find themselves in an enclosure that spans a few thousand miles... It is more problematic for the keeper, who’ll have pointlessly large and difficult to control enclosures for what are fairly delicate animals. Hence the recommendation of condiment cups, as a first T that enclosure will work fine but in the future @RocketPuppy97 use small deli cups as @The Grym Reaper illustrated in the future as a practical measure.

RocketPuppy97

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the messages! I think I'll use this enclosure for now and put future slings in smaller ones!

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
The small condiment cups are more practical, they take up less space(not all that important with the first few T’s but as a collection builds up the value becomes apparent), things are less likely to get knocked around in them, reducing the risk of an injured sling and they make live food easier to find.

Large sling enclosures aren’t all that problematic for the spider, who in the wild will find themselves in an enclosure that spans a few thousand miles... It is more problematic for the keeper, who’ll have pointlessly large and difficult to control enclosures for what are fairly delicate animals. Hence the recommendation of condiment cups, as a first T that enclosure will work fine but in the future @RocketPuppy97 use small deli cups as @The Grym Reaper illustrated in the future as a practical measure.
I can perfectly understand why some choose deli cups, even i myself use them for when i have eggsacs. For just a couple of special T's though (about 13 in my case), ive found slightly larger sling enclosures a real help especially since they're all OW