Apple Wood for Millipedes

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
Would Apple Wood Traeger pellets be safe and beneficial to millipedes after soaking them? I’ve heard this brand is safe because it has no additives but I’m mostly asking if the pedes would eat Apple Wood as much as they would Oak. They don’t have Oak in stock right now.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oak is often regarded as the most nutritious of the commonly available wood pellets. Many beetle hobbyists swear by it. For isopods and millipedes, I get good results with the alder pellets as well.

NopusNatus

Arachnopeon
Oak, beech, maple, alder, cherry, and apple are all safe for many hardwood eating species of beetles. I’ve only ever used fermented oak pellets for my millipedes but am planning on using an oak, maple, and alder mix in the near future. I’m not 100 percent confident in saying applewood is milliped safe as I’ve never used it, but I would be for most hardwood eating beetles. Oak and beech are often considered the most nutritious though. Keep in mind that the pellets will not be edible immediately and will need time to decompose before being digestible by the millipedes. If you are adding freshly expanded pellets to the substrate you will need to provide another source of food.

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
Oak is often regarded as the most nutritious of the commonly available wood pellets. Many beetle hobbyists swear by it. For isopods and millipedes, I get good results with the alder pellets as well.
Thanks! I went to a different store to get Traeger oak wood pellets. I just created a thread to post updates on how it does for my millipedes and how I put it together. I love your content by the way - just finished showing a friend of mine your video on velvet ants.

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
Oak, beech, maple, alder, cherry, and apple are all safe for many hardwood eating species of beetles. I’ve only ever used fermented oak pellets for my millipedes but am planning on using an oak, maple, and alder mix in the near future. I’m not 100 percent confident in saying applewood is milliped safe as I’ve never used it, but I would be for most hardwood eating beetles. Oak and beech are often considered the most nutritious though. Keep in mind that the pellets will not be edible immediately and will need time to decompose before being digestible by the millipedes. If you are adding freshly expanded pellets to the substrate you will need to provide another source of food.
Thank you for all of the information, I was kind of under the same impression that you are. I decided to go somewhere else to get the correct oak pellets just to be safe. I created another thread to explain the process I did and to update people on how it works for me personally.