Apparently, we're all "weird"

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
don't listen to the people who are saying things about you they obviously don't know you well enough you are probably a nice person who has a profound interest in nature, don't take sh*t from them, they deserve a pokie to the face. ;P

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I found out recently that the majority of my highschool thinks I'm a creepy freak because I own tarantulas. My poor friends are sometimes asked why they hang out with "that weird spider girl." ...I prefer the term "unique." ;P
Even my family talks about me like that behind my back. People seem to have the false idea that only crazy, scary people own these things. Most of the people who talk about me like that usually spend their nights partying with underage drinking, potsmoking, etc. The vast majority of them swear profusely and have little to no respect for their parents. And here I am, I do none of those things, and while they're out partying, I'm taking care of my pets, researching new ones, and being on forums like this.
It angers me so much that this crazy society regards responsible people like us who respect nature and like to learn about it as "weird" or "creepy." They should be looking at themselves. I try to be nice to everyone, but they continue to talk bad about me and my prized pets whom I care about so much. No one sees that though - they don't see that I love my pets and that when they gossip about them behind my back it hurts. And it hurts me for this hobby. No one cares to listen to the facts though. What do you do when people criticize you and your collection?
Are you sure they aren't the wierd ones... have you ever thought of it that way. {D

Yeah, I'm graduating from high school in 2 weeks, but I know how it is. Some of my high school friends think I'm wierd, others think I'm unique, and others have joined the hobby because of me. :D

The reaction your getting though is because of the immaturity students are known to have. Don't worry about a thing, they'll get over it when they get older and realize what we have learned years ahead of them(Tarantulas are fascinating and interesting creatures of our world).

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I didn't have too much trouble on the weird pets.. since it was ingrained on most people back when I was in 3rd grade LOL. Over the years, usually it was more of a "geeze.. what crazy thing did you get THIS time?" By high school, I think people were more afraid of talking behind my back due to the motorcycle jacket w/colors I wore all the time... Guess they thought I was in a gang or something LOL. Also by high school I was the person almost everyone went to when they wanted to get rid of some animal or another...come to think of it.. still am. geeze.

JColt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol, took an OBT to work and every one thought I was nuts. The thing did 4 laps on side of terrarium in minus 2 seconds and people just backed away and cursed.

Doezsha

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yup I am weired, Ive ben weired every since I was a young lad. I always identified with Ganzo from the mupet babies as a kid lol. {D {D {D Its funny I have a Preproduction music studio in my house and alto of artist that come over get freaked out wen the know that theirs huge harry spiders in my house lol some get scared and dont even want to come in lol, And they are supposed to be hard core rappers lmfao;P .but I have to agree in a since I dont really look like I would be into Tarantulas an love them as much as I do... well I dont really look like a Eagle scout aether :eek:

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
even as adult

Even when you are adult, some people just think anoyne who has Ts is either crazy or weird or both. Where I work, there is lots of talk about 'my cat did that...' 'my dog.....' but mention Ts and they either freak out calling you weird or look at you like you are nuts. Its a combination of in-born dread of the creepy, and hollywood movies depicting Ts as something that is creepy and somehow evil. You definitely do have to get used to that attitude and just not let it bother you.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya I hear you there doez, I have had many women come over and I think things will go over smoothly and then they see the Ts. It starts out with some questions and moves to panic and then............their gone :(
But I have found a woman now that thinks its cool. She's a bit clumsy at times so shes band from the T room. But with good reason (she knocked over a tub of slings) :evil:
I have never fit in with guys I know. I am always catching things I see, even out at bars and such, we were in Mexico when I was in the Marines and we were drinking and just being guys and I saw a T walking by the table. I just put my beer down and started trying to get it on my hand. More then half of them pooped themselves, some ran like little kids. And from then on out I had to be called spiderman. By every rank under the sun. So well I am odd in some ways, I know I am not alone in my weirdness.

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
And from then on out I had to be called spiderman.
I have 12-14 pics of tarantula's posted in my cube at work, and people have started calling me spiderman too. I just laugh. Most of them are scared, but some ask about them and when they do, I love to talk as long as they will listen. People just fear what they are not educated about, and therefore figure the people that mess with the "weird" are also...."weird" themselves.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
But I have found a woman now that thinks its cool. She's a bit clumsy at times so shes band from the T room. But with good reason (she knocked over a tub of slings) :evil:
My boyfriend does not like spiders, but he has started enjoying the idea that buying me pretty spiders instead of jewelry is a good way to go and way cheaper. Of course after a while the spiders should start earning their keep once I get them up to breeding.... let's see a diamond ring or necklace or something similar that would never get worn do that. lol.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yup I am weired, Ive ben weired every since I was a young lad. I always identified with Ganzo from the mupet babies as a kid lol. {D {D {D Its funny I have a Preproduction music studio in my house and alto of artist that come over get freaked out wen the know that theirs huge harry spiders in my house lol some get scared and dont even want to come in lol, And they are supposed to be hard core rappers lmfao;P .but I have to agree in a since I dont really look like I would be into Tarantulas an love them as much as I do... well I dont really look like a Eagle scout aether :eek:
i love how that works. i knew a guy years ago that i seen with my own eyes, was having a dispute with some other guys. one came at him with a shotgun. the dude took the barrel. held it to his forehead and screamed at the guy to pull the trigger. i mean he was out there but if you went near him with even a small snake he would scream like a little bitch and run. i know cause i chased him with one. then i put the snake down and ran like hell.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmm, only reaction i've ever got at my school was curiosity. i brought pics in one day and i could barely get them back {D

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i never had that problem much. In HS i owned 2 snakes and most people found them interesting, or jsut didnt care. But I owned them since 2nd grade and brought them in for show and tell. So people where used to it. And i got into Tarantulas in college. Most of my roommates thought it was cool too and just like the idea of a giant spider. And the friends/people that didnt like it just said, dont let that thing get out. Like people said, talking about, or ridiculing people, behind their back is something that tends to go away with age, once our in college people just do their own thing for the most part. Then again, i also go out and party and do those things you listed, so its not like im in everynight alone with my spiders haha.

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i agree for the most part but i think some people are just born with that curious nature that drives you to want exotic pets.
my mother use to tell this story all the time, when i was five i found a garter snake in the yard and when mom found me it was bitting me. she freaked out and made me put it down. she said i looked at her and said its ok he was just scared. even at a young age i was obsessed with snakes, spiders and such.
true, but i was just referring to the average joe who's not into bugs. the mature and the educated knows to be respectful and understand that everyone likes different things, while the ones that are not, well, act differently.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
All good points made. :) I know I shouldn't care what people think, but you gotta admit it hurts a little. But even before I got into Ts, I was called weird anyways. Oh well, better than being boring and uninteresting. Thanks for all the support guys, you rock! :clap:

dangerprone69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah most people out there don't get it. Snakes, spiders, scorpions and such are animals that inspire fear and hatred in many people. I've had people threaten to come over my house with a can of raid or say they would have my snakes made into belts or shoes. And these are supposed "friends" that I used to work with.

The bottom line is this: I enjoy what I do. I find these animals fascinating. If someone doesn't like it, oh well. I don't care.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's why we have shows and things like Arachnocon, so us "wierd" people can get together and talk about what we know and love best. :D