Apparently, we're all "weird"

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I found out recently that the majority of my highschool thinks I'm a creepy freak because I own tarantulas. My poor friends are sometimes asked why they hang out with "that weird spider girl." ...I prefer the term "unique." ;P
Even my family talks about me like that behind my back. People seem to have the false idea that only crazy, scary people own these things. Most of the people who talk about me like that usually spend their nights partying with underage drinking, potsmoking, etc. The vast majority of them swear profusely and have little to no respect for their parents. And here I am, I do none of those things, and while they're out partying, I'm taking care of my pets, researching new ones, and being on forums like this.
It angers me so much that this crazy society regards responsible people like us who respect nature and like to learn about it as "weird" or "creepy." They should be looking at themselves. I try to be nice to everyone, but they continue to talk bad about me and my prized pets whom I care about so much. No one sees that though - they don't see that I love my pets and that when they gossip about them behind my back it hurts. And it hurts me for this hobby. No one cares to listen to the facts though. What do you do when people criticize you and your collection?

Cereal Box

Arachnopeon
Sounds more like typical high school cliqueyness than anything. Many people think tarantulas are a strange animal to keep and it freaks them out, but no one judges me here in the (semi) adult world.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Sounds more like typical high school cliqueyness than anything. Many people think tarantulas are a strange animal to keep and it freaks them out, but no one judges me here in the (semi) adult world.
Good to know. Can't wait. :clap:

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
it's a maturity thing. in high school, owning something other than a dog or cat makes you wierd. especially if you own a "bug." most people don't see the sense in doing so, therefore they will label you as "wierd." trust me, from college and onward, people could give a crap about what you do in your life haha.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
it's a maturity thing. in high school, owning something other than a dog or cat makes you wierd. especially if you own a "bug." most people don't see the sense in doing so, therefore they will label you as "wierd." trust me, from college and onward, people could give a crap about what you do in your life haha.
Haha, awesome. :D Well good thing I only have a year left of this torture.

markface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
though i have only been keeping T's for a few months , i have been keeping snakes and other reptiles for almost my whole life . i have over the years been called weird , strange , abnormal and a whole host of other things because of my love of exotic animals . people fear what they dont understand and that fear makes them think of people who actually like these feared critters as other than normal . it's human nature . it makes them feel better about themselves in their little closed minded worlds .

if you are going to continue to keep T's or other critters that the mainstream population considers outside the bounds of normal pets , you had better get used to people thinking you strange . it comes with the teritory . i just ignore them and go about my buisness knowing that i have a better understanding of things in this world than any of them will ever have .

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
though i have only been keeping T's for a few months , i have been keeping snakes and other reptiles for almost my whole life . i have over the years been called weird , strange , abnormal and a whole host of other things because of my love of exotic animals . people fear what they dont understand and that fear makes them think of people who actually like these feared critters as other than normal . it's human nature . it makes them feel better about themselves in their little closed minded worlds .

if you are going to continue to keep T's or other critters that the mainstream population considers outside the bounds of normal pets , you had better get used to people thinking you strange . it comes with the teritory . i just ignore them and go about my buisness knowing that i have a better understanding of things in this world than any of them will ever have .
Excellent points made. I'm about to get my first reptile soon (bearded dragon) so I plan on keeping these types of animals the rest of my life. I find them much more fascinating than dogs and cats, so yeah... guess I'd better get used to it like you said.

Syngyne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, I am a bit weird, but for reasons entirely unrelated to my tarantula.

If people are giving you grief about your bug, let them know it's not much different than owning any other pet that mainly keeps to itself and gives you something interesting to look at, like a goldfish. Only, the tarantula offers you two advantages over a goldfish, being:

1) They're a lot more interesting to look at, and
2) You can occasionally pick one up.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
alot of people on this forum are crazy haha (jk :D )
but yeah i would expect some weird reactions from people.wouldnt let it bother ya tho.people are afraid of what they dont undertsand ;)

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Well, I am a bit weird, but for reasons entirely unrelated to my tarantula.

If people are giving you grief about your bug, let them know it's not much different than owning any other pet that mainly keeps to itself and gives you something interesting to look at, like a goldfish. Only, the tarantula offers you two advantages over a goldfish, being:

1) They're a lot more interesting to look at, and
2) You can occasionally pick one up.
And they don't usually die on you within the first week of owning 'em. :rolleyes:

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
first thing people say when they come in my room

"ewww what would you want a scorpion or tarantula!?"

my responce

"Because there cool"

Its really no use giving people a big long reason because they would never understand anyway:wall:

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Become a teacher.... my students think I'm cool for owning tarantulas. However, I am a bit of a dork because I want a stereo microscope for my birthday... :rolleyes:

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know just how you feel! I'm in high school but i'm home schooled, so when i'm talking to kids at swim teem or where ever they always think i'm realy weird for keeping spiders and roaches :D

Meaningless End

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ya Thats something ive defianlty delt with most of my life... The worst is when you bring a girl over to your house for the first time and she refuses to come into the room because she swears the nile monitor is "sizing her up for a meal"....

but it is a good way to weed out the ones you dont want.

Tim St.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Lol funny reading this becuse i was in the "Cool" crowd when i was in high school, did all that junk ie. Drinking, party'in, disrespecting teachers, skipping, being a bully.........and what did it get me? nothing but regrets. i never talk to any of my old "Friends" people who really were just my friend to be "Cool" also, they had no idea who or what i was really like and i lost out becuse of that, i say be who you are and you'll have good lifelong friends that share the same hobbies, not false ones.

Hight schools like middle school you think your the big shot till you start off at the bottem again.

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm 35 and my family calls my office the "freak show". They think my interest in tarantulas, scorpions and snakes is very strange. I've notice however that whenever anyone comes to my house the first thing they want to do is see whats new in the office! High school can be rough. Take pride in being different and just smile when people give you grief.

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yea, i go to a very weird arts highschool so no one cares even convinced a friend that they want a t, but my family acts like im obsessed because i decided to learn something and keep 4 Ts, OH Dear lord mother pretty soon i'll catch up to your 400 hundred antique cameras!

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just show people that spiders aren't your ENTIRE life, and keep being nice everyone, even the ones who don't understand, this can only help you. Just take what they have to say in stride and as a joke, not as an insult. Try to play off of it; let people see you've got a sense of humor. These are the things that have helped me tone down the reputation of the "Gecko Freak" in Middle School. I'm still widely known for all my crazy pets (He has room for reptiles!! And saving up for a $300 lizard!!!!) But along with that I'm known for my love for Theatre, Art, Music, and Science. Also, cause I'm both understanting and can sometimes pull off a good joke or two , I've got friends in about every social circle. ~ Rex

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
it is for sure not a high school thing. most young people except my pets more than the ones close to my age. most of them tell me im strange for keeping a bunch of creepy things in my bedroom.
just hope they never look under my bed. :eek: really there is nothing under there but dust and cats once in a while.