Aphonopelma sp. "toe hooks" getting caught in roof of enclosure

Sleek

Arachnopeon
Just got my first T, Aphonopelma sp. Ten gallon, bone dry, no sponge in shallow water dish, I think I did my research. I put lots of subsrate so she couldn't fall to far, she is bigger then the gap left between the roof and the eco earth, only problem, she keeps getting her (i hope) toe hooks stuck in the roof, she quickly pulls them out, but she still is getting stuck, could this damage her in anyway? Thanks a bunch.
Sleek

Sleek

Arachnopeon
Yes, it can. Change out the screen for acrylic or something
How can I change the screen? it's one of those lids that you pull to the side? Am I going to have to get a whole new tank? Because the good ones without a screen are super expensive...

magicmed

Arachnobaron
How can I change the screen? it's one of those lids that you pull to the side? Am I going to have to get a whole new tank? Because the good ones without a screen are super expensive...
Get a piece of acrylic the samE size as the screen. Remove the screen, hot glue acrylic in place, vent as needed.

Or what I would personally do is get the acrylic cut to the size of the whole top, cut out a square in the acrylic for maintenance, hinge one side of the removed square, magnet lock the other, and hot glue the whole thing in place.

Sleek

Arachnopeon
Get a piece of acrylic the samE size as the screen. Remove the screen, hot glue acrylic in place, vent as needed.

Or what I would personally do is get the acrylic cut to the size of the whole top, cut out a square in the acrylic for maintenance, hinge one side of the removed square, magnet lock the other, and hot glue the whole thing in place.
Im not a very DIY person, this all seems way to complicated...I might see if I can do the first option...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Im not a very DIY person, this all seems way to complicated...I might see if I can do the first option...
It would be useful if you showed us a picture of what you have instead of describing things which lead to more "wonder what he has for a T container" Sounds like a Zilla Critter Cage to me, but who knows.

You did decent research, now finish the job and replace the screen top so your T doesn't lose its leg(s) soon.

Sleek

Arachnopeon
It would be useful if you showed us a picture of what you have instead of describing things which lead to more "wonder what he has for a T container" Sounds like a Zilla Critter Cage to me, but who knows.

You did decent research, now finish the job and replace the screen top so your T doesn't lose its leg(s) soon.
Thanks. Its a ten gallon tank. Im going to see if I can replace it tomorrow, if only she doesn't kill herself tonight. :[ Can she actually lose legs? I am going to have this DIY tank until I get enough money to get a good acrylic tank from Jamie's Tarantulas.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks. Its a ten gallon tank. Im going to see if I can replace it tomorrow, if only she doesn't kill herself tonight. :[ Can she actually lose legs? I am going to have this DIY tank until I get enough money to get a good acrylic tank from Jamie's Tarantulas.
I've read from a couple keepers who found their T missing a leg after it was caught in the screen. The leg can get damaged, and the T will decide to chew it off.

Sleek

Arachnopeon
I've read from a couple keepers who found their T missing a leg after it was caught in the screen. The leg can get damaged, and the T will decide to chew it off.
She seems to be doing better on not getting stuck, hope for the best.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She seems to be doing better on not getting stuck, hope for the best.
It's a bit like walking through a minefield, not a question of "IF", but "WHEN". Except in this case, your T doesn't need to be faced w/that.

If you have a simple 10 gallon tank, you don't need to be a DIYer, you can order an acrylic lid cut to fit. Same if you have one of those tanks that has the slide out screen. Just slide acrylic in there instead. It's not rocket science at all. If I can do it, anyone can.

cold blood

Staff member
Or just go to a hardware store and have them cut you a piece of plexi...then just drill out ventilation.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Just for reference I think that the "toe hooks" are properly called tarsal claws.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
this is actually what I was gonna do. :]
You said that the lid slides, yes? Does it slide all the way out? If so, then just take it out and replace it with a (thick) piece of acrylic as has been brought up. Lowe's will cut it for you for free if you buy it from them. For drilling, go slow or else you'll crack it.

Can we see the enclosure? That would help us help you. I actually prefer these aquarium DIY enclosures over Jamie's or any other acrylic enclosures. I just think they look nicer.

Since you seem new, check this video out for instructions on how to properly set up an enclosure for a terrestrial. Also note the sliding lid I was talking about - that aquarium came with a screen top.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Thats the word I was looking for.
No big. I just spent a little time going through basic tarantula anatomy and physiology again so I was feeling all smart cause I knew the word.:D

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
No big. I just spent a little time going through basic tarantula anatomy and physiology again so I was feeling all smart cause I knew the word.:D
High five for smartness!:stop::happy:

As a temporary fix, I lined the inside of the screen with tape and poked holes through the tape. Worked fine until I switched enclosures.

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
A large Sterilite/Rubbermaid tub would solve the issue for just a few bucks. Either as a temporary enclosure until you work out our lid situation or even as a permanent residence.

cold blood

Staff member
High five for smartness!:stop::happy:

As a temporary fix, I lined the inside of the screen with tape and poked holes through the tape. Worked fine until I switched enclosures.
I don't like the use of tape at all, as they can bite and pull it through, some ts, like my largest P. cancerides, will pull anything apart it can get to and has shredded the saran wrap I had covering much of the ventilation in the KK, but the point is, if that were sticky at all, like tape, it would not be a good thing to have adhesive suck to a ts mouthparts.

A large Sterilite/Rubbermaid tub would solve the issue for just a few bucks. Either as a temporary enclosure until you work out our lid situation or even as a permanent residence.
Exactly. Under $10 complete and you will have a wonderful set up for the spider.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I don't like the use of tape at all, as they can bite and pull it through, some ts, like my largest P. cancerides, will pull anything apart it can get to and has shredded the saran wrap I had covering much of the ventilation in the KK, but the point is, if that were sticky at all, like tape, it would not be a good thing to have adhesive suck to a ts mouthparts.
After I had put the tape on, I watched on multiple occasions, my A. chalcodes (the one in the enclosure with mesh) try to bite through it with no luck. I used mailing tape, which, from what I've seen, is much stronger than saran wrap.