Aphonopelma sp Tamaulipas

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
HI,

Does anyone keep these? I am curious to find any info on them I can. Thanks in advance!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
They are an undescribed species, that as far as I remember may or may not be an actual Aphonopelma, it hasnt been described,as far as I know its probably better described as Theraphosinae sp. tamaulipas. There was some debate on them having Brachypelma characteristics as well, on here. And they are somehow given the common name Tamaulipas Rose Hair. Which is very misleading if it were indeed an aphonopelma. Care im assuming for slings would be the same as most all NW slings and given room to burrow. With adult care being similliar to aphonopelmas and or brachypelmas.
That being said i could be wrong but thats what I remember reading.

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you so much. I greatly appreciate the insight.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you so much. I greatly appreciate the insight.
I say that with no certainty, it’s just what I have read on here. I could be completely off base and there could be a lot more known about them. But that’s all I know and can extrapolate based off what they currently classify them as and can be subject to change as time progresses and they get described and possible reclassified into a new genus or stay in Aphonopelma. Who knows with undescribed species of what they actually are.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
They are an undescribed species, that as far as I remember may or may not be an actual Aphonopelma, it hasnt been described,as far as I know its probably better described as Theraphosinae sp. tamaulipas. There was some debate on them having Brachypelma characteristics as well, on here. And they are somehow given the common name Tamaulipas Rose Hair. Which is very misleading if it were indeed an aphonopelma. Care im assuming for slings would be the same as most all NW slings and given room to burrow. With adult care being similliar to aphonopelmas and or brachypelmas.
That being said i could be wrong but thats what I remember reading.
The species might be new to science and not have a species description, but the genera Aphonopelma and Brachypelma have detailed descriptions so anyone can determine if it belongs to one of those, or neither, with ease if they cared to key it out. The only reason one would label a tarantula by subfamily name only is if one could not determine the genus placement or were too lazy to try.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
The species might be new to science and not have a species description, but the genera Aphonopelma and Brachypelma have detailed descriptions so anyone can determine if it belongs to one of those, or neither, with ease if they cared to key it out. The only reason one would label a tarantula by subfamily name only is if one could not determine the genus placement or were too lazy to try.
Agreed, I think what I had read is that it has characteristics of both Aphonopelma and Brachypelma that’s the only reason I said the subfamily name possibility, and I’m not sure if it has been keyed out. Do you have any information on them has thaT been done or have they been arbitrarily placed in Aphonopelma based of location? And I also followed that by saying I say all of that with no certainty! There’s not much know.

Last edited: