Aphonopelma slings leaving the nest single file in herping video

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
So, I'm wacthing a west Texas herping video when the Youtuber comes across a line of Aphonopelma slings leaving the nest. The youtuber just calls them spiders, as he's mostly into herps, but they are clearly Tarantula slings. Did a little research to make sure I knew what I was talking about and it confirmed this the normal way for Aphonopelma slings to leave their nest. Pretty cool to watch - at the 20:05 mark for those who don't want to watch the whole video (but if you are into herps his videos are quite good).

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This has also been observed in wild Tliltocatl vagans (back when they were Brachypelma vagans) and there is a formal observation/publication describing the observation.
Steven B. Reichling "GROUP DISPERSAL IN JUVENILE BRACHYPELMA VAGANS (ARANEAE, THERAPHOSIDAE)," The Journal of Arachnology 28(2), 248-250, (1 September 2000).

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
@AphonopelmaTX have you observed this?
No, but not from a lack of trying. I've just never been in the right place at the right time. Seeing wild tarantulas mate is easy and predictable enough in my neighborhood, but figuring out when the spiderlings start leaving the maternal burrow is difficult.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No, but not from a lack of trying. I've just never been in the right place at the right time. Seeing wild tarantulas mate is easy and predictable enough in my neighborhood, but figuring out when the spiderlings start leaving the maternal burrow is difficult.
Bummer- I’ve never know them to leave like ants sorta. Fascinating

gabrielgartner

Arachnosquire
sounds like it could be written up in a natural history journal (like the spider version of herp review) if it hadn't been seen in this species before? Anyone familiar with the spood literature?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
That is pretty cool. Not often do you see an Aphonopelma Brigade out in full dress on parade.

Thanks for sharing,

Arthroverts

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
sounds like it could be written up in a natural history journal (like the spider version of herp review) if it hadn't been seen in this species before? Anyone familiar with the spood literature?
The little bit of research I did (googled it) show that this has been observed in Aphonopelma before

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Rest of video is great too.
I've been watching his videos for over a year now, he really knows his stuff. I know he provides data on localities, etc. to universities, and has participated in a eastern indigo snake count in Georgia, which, as an endangered species you have to have special permission to even touch a wild one.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Adorable seeing them forming an orderly line. Would have been even funnier if mommy spider was leading them 😂