Aphonopelma seemanni

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man I tell you one of these days we may not ever see wild caught Aphonopelma seemanni exported anymore. I can’t say I will be sad not to see them on the import list. Even though I love wild caught specimens of many different species I would like to see Aphonopelma seemanni to have a break from not to be collected by the 1000’s each year.

About this girl: She loves nightcrawlers. She’s never refused eating nightcrawlers. She eats crickets as well. She’s only molted once under my care and that was two weeks ago when she molted. She’s as beautiful as any other expensive tarantula that you can purchase online. The cheap hardy tarantulas are the best ones in my opinion. I keep her on dry substrate never moist/humid. Not eco earth substrate, though she’s on regular dirt. She’s one of the few Aphonopelma seemanni tarantulas that I’ve own since the early 90’s. I’ve never mated/breed this species. Maybe if the opportunity comes up I will do so. 2A955599-9575-4AC8-9D56-1F9E871B6F2E.jpeg D752489F-1A16-4561-A13F-94F4E5BDE5CE.jpeg

Last edited:

Reezelbeezelbug

Arachnosquire
It's pretty commonly said to keep these on moist substrate, I'm curious as to your reasoning for keeping them on dry substrate? Thanks!

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's pretty commonly said to keep these on moist substrate, I'm curious as to your reasoning for keeping them on dry substrate? Thanks!
Yep I hear and read about it a lot for the last two decades. Fortunately it’s not always true of what you read or hear from tarantula keepers. Tarantula spiderlings of every species should always be kept moist. However there comes the time in their youth young adults with many tarantula species can be kept on dry substrate. Aphonopelma seemanni happens to be one of them. There are other species like Xenesthis, Pamphobeteus, Lasiodorides, and the famous Megaphobema robustum that can be kept on dry substrate.
@Exoskeleton Invertebrates so what are favorite LARGE species of T? (in terms of A geniculata, LP, stirmi type size?)
Personally I’ve never liked Lasiodora species. Acanthoscurria geniculata “Giant White Knee and Acanthoscurria geniculata “Giant White Banded” aka brocklehursti I’ll take any day. Theraphosa are cool as well. Though I’m not big on keeping them as pets.