Aphonopelma Seemanni won't use hide

JadeWhisenant

Arachnopeon
I recently got my first T early July of this year, an Aphonopelma Seemanni, and about a week or two ago she (unconfirmed) stoped using the hide and instead stays in the plant decor.. I've checked for mold and anything else that might be a problem and found nothing. Her substrate is a jungle mix and it's not dried out or too wet IMG_20200808_115928374.jpg IMG_20200808_115946379.jpg .. I did some research already and found that maybe the hide was too spacious (it's one of those half log things) so I added more bedding in the hide so that there's only about three fingers of open space inside, but she still went back to the plant.. is this normal or should I be worried?

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
A. seemanni like to burrow I'd give her more substrate, like 7-9". Mine used all of that to burrow and build tunnels. I'd also recommend using coco fiber substrate instead of whatever that is, especially for a burrowing species like this.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Could be anything- they change behavior, like humans. I like the suggestions above.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I have 5 Aphonopelma seemanni slings. 3 of the slings are avid burrowers, with warrens dug throughout their enclosures. 1 sling has just recently started burrowing, and has created a nice tunneling system, just within the last few weeks.

1 sling is still not interested in burrowing. It has filled in the entrance to its hide and has never shown any interest in the starter burrow.

So though the behavior of an Aphonopelma seemanni not interested in burrowing is not common, it is still not unheard of...I would not be concerned, and enjoy the fact that you do not have a pet hole. :bag:

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
A. seemanni like to burrow I'd give her more substrate, like 7-9". Mine used all of that to burrow and build tunnels. I'd also recommend using coco fiber substrate instead of whatever that is, especially for a burrowing species like this.
Jungle mix is a perfectly acceptable substrate, it's just a premix from Zilla. I agree with adding more, though!

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Jungle Mix is just Peat Moss made with 2 different types of moss instead of just Spaghnum.

Not the biggest fan because it contains moss from Pine trees. But should be A-OK.

seemani are fossorial and will dig instead of using a hide almost always. You can start a tunnel under hide and hope it takes to it and builds one there.

More T's then not won't use the hide they are given IME. Unlike reptiles.

JadeWhisenant

Arachnopeon
I'll definitely be adding more substrate.. When I got her, she'd already had the enclosure she's in now for a while, so I assumed she had the correct set up. I'll be needing to buy a new, taller enclosure for the 7-9" to fit but anything to make her as comfortable as possible😅 Thank you for the info!