Aphonopelma Seemanni Enclosure too small?

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
Hey guys! So, currently, I have an Aphonopelma, about 4" DLS (I think). I have her in a KK, but it may be a little small for hern now that I have seen it for awhile. I have a hotglued corkbark on the side with a few leaves as cover. I got her deformed and starved (I'll show you guys exactly what her container was and what she was in) in this pet store for 30$, so I picked it up right away, without thinking about my extra enclosures. She's been settled in there for about a month now. Do you think she needs a bigger container, or nah? I can go ahead and buy a bigger KK if needed. Thanks!

Attachments

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
That container will work, this species is an avid burrower so I would add more substrate. Perhaps double the current substrate.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I would think she would be fine until after her next molt. I would start planning and setting up a larger enclosure for her next rehouse.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
As has been said, you need WAY more substrate. Even double would barely be passable. This is a burrowing species - more substrate, less clutter on the surface.

I'd I were you, I'd get an entirely new enclosure and throw away all those fake plants. Profile a half-buried log ad a starter burrow, a water dish, and nothing else.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I've got my 2" juvenile delinquent with 4" of substrate. She burrows easily all over the "field"!

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I'd say you could get away with one more molt before a rehouse. And yeah, as others have said, its a burrowing species so definitely more sub. However, if you're going to add more sub its is basically a rehouse anyway, so you might as well just move it to something bigger now while giving it more substrate.

awiec

Arachnoprince
This species likes to burrow and by like I mean my adult female had three feet worth of tunnels in a 10 gallon tank with 10 inches of sub. I'm not sure if mine is the oddball of the bunch but the past few years she buries herself around April and doesn't come out until about October with a new coat of paint; this would not be possible if she didn't have the proper amount of sub. That cage looks great for one of my crested geckos but terrible for an almost obligate burrower like your spider. Just partially bury a half log/cork bark with several inches more sub.

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
Here's the new setup, It's about 5 inches top to bottom substrate. I've heard this is a tropical species too? So I've drained water in each corner of the enclosure. A little starter burrow, waterbowl, and no plastic plants, as Oscar was asking. Anything else?

Attachments

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Looking good. Maybe a bigger waterdish would be beneficial. But as it is nust now it looks much better :)