Aphonopelma seemanni :3

THExMETAL666

Arachnopeon
i just bought and A. Seemanni and i just want to here some tips from anyone who owns one. i know everything i need to know about how to care for it and all i was just wondring if there was anyone out there with a striped knee who had any helpful tips for me, thanks.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
If you already know everything to care for it, then my 'tip' may be useless to you... but this particular Aphonopelma benefits from more humidity -- so don't keep it too dry (but don't make a swamp either! lol)
Best of luck. My A seemanni is a favourite here. :)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
You don't mention if yours is a sling or larger.
I found A seemanni to be a burrower -- even as an adult -- so deeper substrate is appreciated by them. Some have made some elaborate underground burrows. Mine basically just dug a small L.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Deep substrate! Not sure why people always forget about that with this species. My 4" juvie has 11" worth of substrate, and she's gone to the bottom twice over. They will survive in a terrestrial setup, but they'll thrive in a burrowing setup.

I'd suggest getting springtails as a cleanup crew. I try to never let mine dry out completely, although they will tolerate the occasional draught.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Mine is VERY protective of her waterdish...
Honestly -- for the first year it seemed that every time I wanted a pix of mine she was in her water dish or draped over its top. I worried I wasn't keeping humidity high enough (I usually dampen about 1/4 - 1/3 of her tank, let dry, rotate area). Now I think they my humidity/dampness is probably fine -- she just really really likes her water dish. lol
I feed her first, gets her away from dish so I can refill it. Not to say she doesn't still drag her prey over to her water dish sometimes anyway...

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire
Honestly -- for the first year it seemed that every time I wanted a pix of mine she was in her water dish or draped over its top. I worried I wasn't keeping humidity high enough (I usually dampen about 1/4 - 1/3 of her tank, let dry, rotate area). Now I think they my humidity/dampness is probably fine -- she just really really likes her water dish. lol
I feed her first, gets her away from dish so I can refill it. Not to say she doesn't still drag her prey over to her water dish sometimes anyway...
Mine does the exact same thing! As soon as I open the lid to her enclosure, if she's not by her water dish, she'll immediately run over to it. So I lure her away with food :D
What makes it weirder is that she usually just throws substrate in her waterdish anyways.

keks

Arachnobaron
Mine does the exact same thing! As soon as I open the lid to her enclosure, if she's not by her water dish, she'll immediately run over to it. So I lure her away with food :D
What makes it weirder is that she usually just throws substrate in her waterdish anyways.
That's water dish camouflage ^^ ....

THExMETAL666

Arachnopeon
Deep substrate! Not sure why people always forget about that with this species. My 4" juvie has 11" worth of substrate, and she's gone to the bottom twice over. They will survive in a terrestrial setup, but they'll thrive in a burrowing setup.

I'd suggest getting springtails as a cleanup crew. I try to never let mine dry out completely, although they will tolerate the occasional draught.
yes i have about 6-6 1/2 inches of substrate in the encloser right now ive already got her encloser set up its just a matter of time before my T arrives im pretty excited is there anyone who has some feeder suggestions and its a 3" male i sadly couldn't find a female or i would've bought one lol. and i have an obt in the waits my buddy is raising 7 slings and hes giving me one but i know not ever mess with an obt its a look but dont touch specimen. thanks for all your guys info and please share anymore that you'd like its greatly appreciated.

THExMETAL666

Arachnopeon

i have 6-7 inches of it in the encloser now.