Aphonopelma seemani setup

bob13

Arachnopeon
I am new to the hobby and have been going through forums for about two weeks now. I have decided on Costa Rican Zebras for my first tarantula and I am trying to decide if this is an acceptable setup.

I am planning on a getting a 20L aquarium with 5 inches of peat moss for substrate and putting a divider in it to create two cages. My question on this is will having a setup like this cause the spiders a lot of stress? Seems like maybe they could sense the vibrations from each other. Also, it can get a little chilly in my house in the winter sometimes so I was thinking about adding a heating pad to the back of the tank so I can heat both sides evenly. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

andy375hh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You really dont need a 20 gal tank, a five gallon is big enough for an A seemani (costa rican zebra), If you divide a tank there is always a chance for one to get into the others side and you might have 1 eat the other. For substrate I use eco earth for all of mine if you use peat moss just make sure you bake it before use I still do this with my eco earth. As for the heat you can put a heat mat on the back buts its not recommended just make sure that your t's cant get right on it if you do. When it gets too cold in my place I use a space heater to help raise the temp in the room I have my T's Also make sure you have some hiding places Mine likes to hide out under some cork bark I have in her tank. Good luck Hope this helps ya,

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
as said its not recommend that you use a divider because theres a chance of you having one fat T just get 2 seprate cages and good luck

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Scrap the divider idea, a 20L/5gal is just fine for your A. seemani. How cold does it get in winter where you live? All my spiders appear to have done well through a Canadian winter where it got to the low 60s in the room some nights, so you may not need to bother with the heater.