Aphonopelma seemani molting question

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ok here are the before and after shots of the molted T.....akward? and it still looks just plain black....

Last edited:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like it hooked out to me. Check under it's first two legs for tibial hooks, if it has them it's now a Mature Male.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ok will try and do...howcome it would have the female coloring then molt into male coloring though? thanks

Looks like it hooked out to me. Check under it's first two legs for tibial hooks, if it has them it's now a Mature Male.

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Most (or all? correct me if needed, Aphonopelma keepers) of the Aphonopelma spp males turn black when they mature. When they're immature they sport the standard colors of their species.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ok will try and do...howcome it would have the female coloring then molt into male coloring though? thanks
There is no "female" coloring. There is a color and pattern sported by immatures and females, but male tarantulas of many species often are a different color after they experience their ultimate molt.

If you think this is remarkable, you should see the change in some species of Pamphobeteus. The mature males are a stunning iridescent magenta.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Seems it's already been stated in a roundabout way, but that's a mature male. ;)