Aphonopelma molting (?)

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a little (2.5") aphonopelma t my neighbor found around here (southern california). I don't even know what species it is... it's all black.
Anyway, the past few days it's been even more docile than usual, and the past few weeks it hasn't been eating. So I'm thinking it's gonna molt? I've only been through one t moult before, and I found out after it was over, so I'm wondering what precautions I should take? (like what conditions the cage should have, etc.)

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If it indeed is preparing for a molt, the lack of eating and the "black" coloration sure sound like it.

Just make sure it has a full water bowl in its enclosure and leave it alone. It should do the rest just fine. =)

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No, I mean, it's all black. That's its coloration. I'm not saying the abdomen changed.

And in this case it's a full water sponge... that's ok, right?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No, I mean, it's all black. That's its coloration. I'm not saying the abdomen changed.

I hope you mean water dish not water sponge. Sponges are breeding grounds for everything thats bad. If you have a dish with a sponge now just toss the sponge and stick with a shallow water dish. I have seen sponges at pet stores spiked with molt everywhere and that mold will kill a small T.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Yea, sponges aren't good. Major breeding site for bacteria and other little nasties. I plain dish full of water is the way to go, if you think it's to deep get a shallow dish or just add some gravel to it.

Good luck on the molt!

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
plus ts can't drink very well from sponges, and when a molt is upcoming, the need to be well hydrated. so lose the sponge and give it a big, shallow waterdish.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Can you post a pic of her? If you want her identified :)

aliceinwl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The taxonomic status of California T's is not well known, but sometimes locality can give you a clue.

If it has a bald spot, the skin should turn black right before a molt.

I have quite a few California T's and mine tend to molt mid summer. Usually my fresh captures are ravenous eaters at first. Once they fill up, their appetite slows down. They may subsequently fast for a month or more without any noticable decrease in girth.

All my California T's are very docile.

Here's a pre and post molt shot of one of my California T's. I've been told that they belong in a group referred to as Aphonopela eutylenum group tarantulas which A. iodius may or may not be distinct from.

As you can see from the pictures, color can change dramatically depending on when they had their last molt,

-Alice

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, she's definitely molting now. She's on her side... away from the mat she made. Yesterday she bulldozed a flat valley, and today she made a web on some rocks near that. She's in the valley, but only just barely touching the web.

:confused:

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She's starting and it's going very well, except she's not flipped over.
Is that ok?

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Most likely she will flip over on her back to molt. Don't worry, theres not much you can do to help anyway. Just leave her be.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whew! She (?) stayed on her (?) side until the molt was all off, but she flipped over completely to stretch.

Should I wait at all to feed her?

Urbanspider

Arachnopeon
Pulk,

Yes, give the critter a couple of days until its fangs harden up from the molt. Don't want it to snap off a new fang before its ready. I always make sure my T's have plenty of water before and after the molt too. Please get us some additional photos too. Thats a good looking Aponopelma!

Urbanspider