Aphonopelma Hentzi

markchaos99

Arachnopeon
I had just bought a Aphonopelma Hentzi or texas brown. I brought it home and it was really lethargic. now its fine but its really aggressive and bits quite often is this normal????

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is it a female? Im going to guess its W/C.. If its a W/C adult female.. Then there is a good chance its gravid.. My hentzi was mean as heck then she dropped an egg sac on me.. She then was a calm as can be..

markchaos99

Arachnopeon
Is it a female? Im going to guess its W/C.. If its a W/C adult female.. Then there is a good chance its gravid.. My hentzi was mean as heck then she dropped an egg sac on me.. She then was a calm as can be..
well when i got her I figured she was a female because the molt was still in the cage it couldnt have been more than a couple of days old. not to mention I dont think the pet store took good care of her because she had her legs under her like she was in pain but when i got her home and gave her water and she spent two days drinking and staying around the water. now shes fine but mean as hell biting any chance she got.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well when i got her I figured she was a female because the molt was still in the cage it couldnt have been more than a couple of days old. not to mention I dont think the pet store took good care of her because she had her legs under her like she was in pain but when i got her home and gave her water and she spent two days drinking and staying around the water. now shes fine but mean as hell biting any chance she got.
How big is she?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah.. I over read the part about the molt.. If there is a molt.. That rules out any chance of being gravid..

Do you have a picture? Maybe its a wrong ID on the T...

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Deff. no chance of being gravid at 2 inchs.. There is a good chance its a male at that size.. You would need to check the molt to be 100% sure of its sex..

markchaos99

Arachnopeon
its a girl i saw the flap on inside where the male would put his sperm from the molt i saw in the store. I usually do a lot of research before buying one but it was cheep and i knew it was a girl. I dont like haveing males. i have 4 other females and one male but diffrent species. in total i have 6 im 100% sure its a female.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh.. Well.. Then she might just be skittish.. Nervous because of the new home.. The legs curled under & drinking for 2 days means she was dehydrated..

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
also sometimes some Ts have there own personailty like ive had nice G. rosea that i would trust with a 5 year old but now ive got a huge female and well i wouldnt trust her for anything just sometimes how there are hope tha helped

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Out of my 5 A.hentzi I've owned I've never had one that was a psycho. I had a new female about 4.25" actually go into a threat pose as my hand was near her and so I eased my hand right in front of her to see what she would do, she backed down.:D She was just bluffing but almost had me fooled! Actually all of the Aphonopelma I have are really laid back, as I would expect.
You just happened to get a diva with an attitude I guess.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
A bit off topic but I have a A. seemanni 4.5" female and when i try to move her she doesnt go anywhere then out of nowhere goes into phsyco chomp made. I have heard that A. seemanni are supposed to be nice but on the skittish side. :rolleyes: Sometimes you just get a bad apple. Same goes for Normally defensive Ts. I have a 5" H. Lividum that has never put up a fang to me. I can honestly say id rather hold my haplo any day than my A seemanni. :eek:

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Check the molt later unless you have really good eyes. The two aphonopelma caniceps I got labeled as Texas Black, ughh pet store common names, turned out to be aphonopelma caniceps by best guess threw the charts. Both were extremely defensive. Does mean it is just that this and A Annax look like A Hentzi. All have their own personality but Tommy is correct check the ID first. I haven't gotten a clear pic to date on Annax but see if it is fused or not.

Does it look like any of these. Hentzi is on this site I know cause I dug a nice shot up awhile back. It is not one sold flap it is divided when you look at it. But like I said Anax I never found one of. If you do find a photo let me know.
http://tarantulas.tropica.ru/en/node/586

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
I have 5x A.Anax (texas Brown). four are 2", FAST! and threaten me all the time! I also have one 4" female who is EXTREAMLY agressive and slow... all were purchased from Ken the bug guy :/ They are an interesting group. also my 4" female must think she is aboreal because I mostly see her on the side of her enclosure. I have tried difforent substrates and everything but she likes that wall.

Last edited:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have 5x A.Anax (texas Brown). four are 2", FAST! and threaten me all the time! I also have one 4" female who is EXTREAMLY agressive and slow... all were purchased from Ken the bug guy :/ They are an interesting group. also my 4" female must think she is aboreal because I mostly see her on the side of her enclosure. I have tried difforent substrates and everything but she likes that wall.
They are actually defensive.. But hey.. Whats the differance.. Right? {D

markchaos99

Arachnopeon
Ok ill try to find the ID of the T. ill take a good pic and see what i can find. Thanks all for the input.

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
They are actually defensive.. But hey.. Whats the differance.. Right? {D
haha yea the little ones are real defensive but my 4" female (her name is Missy) will litteraly attack me! Last week when I was feeding her she climbed out of the tank, up my arm and gave me a nice chomp! that was the first time I ever got bit by a large T! not fun at all!