Aphonopelma hentzi or not???

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have been collecting local hentzis from a yeild that is being destroyed and I came across this one. It looks NOTHING like the others around here.

This is what all the other look like:

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah I know, that is one I'm DEF going to keep for further observations.

Austin

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The 5th photo looks about right for a local, is that the same spider, or are you doing a comparisin?

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Of both of those were found in the day day, just a comparisin shot. I found many, the first tarantula shown was the ONLY one that looked like that. It kinda reminds me of Aphonopelma sp. "Carlsbad green" juv.

Austin

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
*same* day, god i need to concentrate on what im typing.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've caught them in the wild and I've seen small differences indicating a color morph. I've seen nothing that drastic so the first thing that comes to mind is that you found a hybrid. Is hentzi the only species found in your area?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Wait until it molts and I bet it will look like the rest. Color is highly variable within an Aphonopelma sp. Such drastic differences in color and appearance in Aphonopelma hentzi is not unusual.

- Lonnie

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What are they doing up there, building another Wal Mart? I think we need a few more around here, lol.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha oh yeah, another Wal mart!!! They say that in a couple years it will only take 20 minutes to drive from tulsa to bville or vice versa. Haha crazy huh?

I have no saved exactly 37 hentzis from bein bulldozed over. And there are plenty more out there.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They're gorgeous! Are you building a huge colony at your house, or selling/giving them away?

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wait until it molts and I bet it will look like the rest. Color is highly variable within an Aphonopelma sp. Such drastic differences in color and appearance in Aphonopelma hentzi is not unusual.

- Lonnie
Yeah thats what I'm thinkinh. I have seen different color variations for this species around here, but like cheetah said, none this drastic. I'm kinda hopeing it stays this color after it molts, and when it matures. Plus, it is a female. {D

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They're gorgeous! Are you building a huge colony at your house, or selling/giving them away?

I'm keeping several, including the ones in the previous pictures. That big one happens to be over 5". The biggest female hentzi I've seen around here.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
mabey u found a new species.seems like theres alot of things unknown about the us aphonopelmas.is anyone even working on aphonopelma in the us?i would love to read more about them or learn how to id the dif species.its a big mess

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haha oh yeah, another Wal mart!!! They say that in a couple years it will only take 20 minutes to drive from tulsa to bville or vice versa. Haha crazy huh?

I have no saved exactly 37 hentzis from bein bulldozed over. And there are plenty more out there.
37? holy moe! <puts on Tarantula huntin boots and buys a case of Skoal> Mebbe we could set up a sell stand up to Wal Mart, for the literate folks that SHOULD say...... "Maybe we could set up a SALE stand AT Wal Mart, but had to show the world what we Okies that can spell have to endure around here day in day out lol...... rofl

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hahaha, nice. Maybe we should get some people together and go huntin down here sometime. Then go to wal-mart and try and sell some there. haha

Austin

ember

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Austin S.... Your PM box is full and I am trying to get a hold of you. Please PM me when you can, okay? I want some of your "rescues" :)